Short text for 'Love through the ages'

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Re: Short text for 'Love through the ages'

Post by Rob Clark »

I thought the suggestion of Chaucer was an excellent one but if it's been vetoed, what about one of the metaphysical poets – Donne or Marvel? Or is she wants something really challenging, The Wasteland.

Henry James – and in particular Washington Square, which I love – is a bit too similar in tone and era to Persuasion I would have said.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Well done on the Gender theme!!
DD1 (at Oxford) tells me through gritted teeth that everything must now include "Gender" no matter what nonsense it is. She is lucky that she can spout this stuff by the ten thousand words and thereby get the marks but it infuriates her no end.
We have always had a motto here for all humanities exams - "You cannot be too obvious nor can you be too pretentious (the latter is not quite the word we use!)"
I remember Private Eye and Pseuds Corner- it seems to have come to life.

Still, learning to give the examiners what they want is a clever and useful skill so good luck with it.
DD2 and DS are just thankful to be concentrating on science and maths!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

DD was equally frustrated by what she saw as an obsession with 'The Environment' which ran through not only all her GCSE science exams but also modern languages, RE and English. When her GCSE English exam tasked her with writing a website piece to raise young people's awareness of environmental issues, she claims to have said that they could hardly have failed to be aware of them and it was hard to see how awareness could be further raised as saturation point must have been reached when every single GCSE exam apart from Ancient Greek seemed to get it in somehow.

Sorry, OT but your post reminded me of that Magwich2.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

How about a bit of female angst...Sylvi Plath...biography or poetry

or more modern, and easier to read novel 'the woman who walked into doors' by roddy doyle, which would cover gender very well, and has the gritty Irish thing going for it for diversity.

Then she could also consider some of the Geisha novels/memoirs that were prolific about 10 years ago.

Good luck to her...such a broad topic makes it harder to know what the examiners are after.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now