Move from KEGS to CRGS in 6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
obmum

Move from KEGS to CRGS in 6th form

Post by obmum »

Does anyone else have experience of their DS moving from KEGS to CRGS for the sixth form.

Our DS in doing extremely well at KEGS and, if he keeps it up, there is no reason why he shouldn't get excellent GCSEs but we are losing confidence with the school and the other boys who went to CRGS from his Prep do seem to have more of the sort of education we wanted for our son. We didn't look at CRGS at the time because we live within walking distance of KEGS but wish we had now.

Our DS desperately wants to go to Cambridge and CRGS seems to get a lot more in there and definitely seems to get better "A" level results and we want him to have the best chance he can. We are going to look at CRGS next month and all our friends say we will fall in love with it but we are worried about our son making the move.

I'm not really worried about the journey as he has friends who have been on the "legendary" 525 for 5 years but I am worried about whether he will fit in. There does seem to be a rivalry between the two schools and i don't want him to feel like a KEGS boy at CRGS but to be a CRGS boy at CRGS.

Has anyone's son made this move and if they did how did it go?

Obviously he has to be offered a place so I'm not counting any chickens . . . .
Moonlight

Re: Move from KEGS to CRGS in 6th form

Post by Moonlight »

My son has only just started Year 8 at CRGS so I have no experience of the Sixth Form. However, I would be surprised if there were any real rivalry between the two grammar schools, particularly as they should all be more mature by then! There are rivalry issues between CRGS and some local schools but for lower year groups. I am sure they will grow out of this by then. I would certainly not be put off by your son moving from KEGS. There will also be other external candidates coming from different schools so he will not be alone.

The school is fabulous and they have just refurbished the canteen and Sixth Form common room. My son is definitely pleased with the canteen; good food and reasonably priced.

A level results were outstanding again this year as well. There is an Open Evening, I think in October, for external candidates and I shall be going along with my daughter as we need to start thinking about Sixth Form for next year.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

My son is still in year 9 so I can't comment on the sixth form issue but what you wrote here :
i don't want him to feel like a KEGS boy at CRGS but to be a CRGS boy at CRGS.
reminded me of last nights conversation.

CRGS start 4 (6 this year) new boys in year 9, several of which are in my sons class. We were discussing them last night and I asked if he knew what schools they had come from. He looked at me (as only a 13 year old can) and said "Why on earth would I have asked them that?"
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

OOPs I posted this on Essex:

I can't comment on KEGS because I don't know enough about it other than when we looked at both we felt that CRGS was a better match for our DS.

What I can tell you is that the boys are lovely. There is an entry at year 9 and lots of boys and girls join the 6th form together with boarders from overseas and are welcomed and integrate well.

I think the slight competitive edge is there when you have boys going to both schools from the same primary rather than it being inherent. I don't think KEGS is near enough to register with most CRGS boys who, remember, come from a very wide area including parts of Suffolk and even Cambridge where they probably haven't heard of KEGS.

I can say that the best thing about CRGS is everything other than the academic stuff. The school aims to give them the best life and learning experience they can. They have fun and are treated like grown ups in the 6th form wearing business dress and not uniform.

That said, the boys who have been there from day 1 are very proud of this fact and can be seen sporting - voluntarily - one of the many ties they have earned in their first 5 years.

I love this school and can thoroughly recommend it but go and see it and feel it. If it feels right to your son then go for it, he will be welcomed and I am sure feel like a CRGS boy before he knows it.

Very very good luck
moved

Post by moved »

As another option you could consider Westminster for VIth form? They offer both scholarships and bursaries for the able. They have an extremely high percentage of Oxbridge entrants.
obmum

Post by obmum »

Thank you to everyone who replied. We all went to open evening last night and were blown away - why did we not go and look at this amazing school 6 years ago!

My only worry is that it was absolutely packed. I have all the info on what we have to do etc but am very aware on how strong the competition is for a place here. The good news is my DS desperately wants to make the move so I hope that him knowing how hard it will be to get this place will give him the incentive to up the work!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I was at the open evening last night with my daughter as well and she came away feeling really positive and wants to apply to the sixth form there. I think she was surprised at just how much she liked the school and what they have to offer. It was absolutely packed there and competition is extremely fierce for the 65 places on offer to external candidates. I think it's roughly 5/6 applicants for each place available. If nothing else comes of last night's visit, I have a daughter who is now much clearer on what A levels she wants to take and has come away with an amazing amount of motivation to succeed.
obmum

Post by obmum »

My DS has been offered a place to CRGS next year, subject to GCSEs obviously. He is thrilled but we cannot believe the response he/we have received from the boys/parents of his classmates. They have claimed that CRGS' success is totally down to the international students who board there and have been cherry picked by CRGS for their academic ability and work ethic. They claim that not only are the results and oxbridge success significantly affected by these boys but that the 6th form is split by them.

We loved this school but are being frightened off it. Can anyone with a DC in the 6th form tell me if any of this is true. I can't even think of asking the school about it . . . .
KB

Post by KB »

So sorry I didnt see this before :(
It sounds like sour grapes to me.
The academic standard of the HK students id very high and some of them struggle to integrate but it doesn't so any harm to the rest of the 6th form.
Average point score may be raised by them all doing GS and many taking Critical Thinking but even in the 4 'main' A2s (the standard, although some do take 5) the norm is A* or A.

If you and DC liked the school then go for it - the ethos at the open evenings is a pretty good indicator.
Opportunities for extra curricular and posts of responsibilty are varied and the high proportion of 'incomers' means there isnt an issue with CRGS/non CRGS divide.
My DS was CRGS through from year 7 (many years ago when there were fewer 'incomers' ) and he felt when he started year 12 that it was all very different and he had to re-adjust so its no easier for those boys in some ways.

If DC has a particular hobby or interest then that is a good way to integrate quickly and get involved with helping out further down the school.
moved

Post by moved »

DD is considering CRGS for 6th form. Is there anyone on here who has switched from ChCHS and how easily did your DD integrate?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now