Year 12, As Mock Exam Disaster - HELP!

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: Year 12, As Mock Exam Disaster - HELP!

Post by Tinkers »

Warks mum wrote:I'm interested in why you're against him doing an apprenticeship? I think they have real advantages, not least the lack of debt at the end!

In accountancy, for example, I understand there's a move to going back to 'on the job' training. Those who start at 18 can gain their professional qualifications much more quickly that those who take a degree first and all have access to exactly the same jobs. If you know you'd like to be an accountant, why not take this route? (Not that I'm suggesting your son necessarily wants to be an accountant...!)

There's a similar move locally with Jaguar Land Rover. You can still become a Chartered Engineer through the old-fashioned route of apprenticeship and working your way through.

If he's really interested in law, for example, there could be options for a similar career progression through an apprenticeship-style route.

Contrary to popular (Govian?) belief, university isn't the best place for everyone and I think a lot more youngsters with good grades will begin to look at alternative routes in the current financial climate.
Have to agree with all of this.
My company do apprenticeships and I've been very impressed with the standards of work.
They get paid £18.5k a year, from 16. The first year is full time at college with two more years of on the job training and day release. Tutition paid for by the company, so no student loans.
Our grads start 6 or 7 years later, on £29k, with student loans to pay off.

Some companies offer 'higher' apprenticeships, leading to foundation degrees.

If my DD wants to do an apprenticeship at16/18 rather than go to uni, then she has my support.

Really, they are worth considering, if you can find one that is of interest.