Engineering without further maths?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: Engineering without further maths?

Post by Tinkers »

My experience was that the pure maths was far more use than any of the mechanics, for chem eng at least. I can see how mechanics would be useful more for mechanical/civil/ structural but chem and electrical, pure is definitely far more useful.

Of course my experience was some years ago.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I believe the core modules are the pure maths so they have to take them at A level. The optional units are applied: mechanics, statistics or decision. So I meant that the advice was to take as many mechanics units as possible rather than stats or decision if he didn't want to take the full further maths.
His school will apparently allow him to sit individual modules that do not necessarily add up to a qualification if these are wanted by a university.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All schools can offer Further Maths now through the Further Maths Support Programme.

http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would suggest at least AS Further Maths but it does depend which sort of Engineering and where. My DS self-taught himself some FM topics during the summer and this looked good on his UCAS form.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Agree with Guest55 - DS was applying to do Natural Sciences but did not study Further Maths at A Level (only Pure Maths)

He was recommended by a number of Russell League Universities to consider study Further Maths AS in U6 which he did via self study using the Further Maths Support Web Site. Unfortunately the school (KEFW Birmingham) were not able to timetable AS Further Maths in U6 for him.

He did OK - got a grade B at AS all on his own. He has found this useful as one of his Natural Science modules this year is Quantum Physics. Need to make sure that if they do this as self study that this is mentioned on the UCAS application.
KB

Post by KB »

Guest55 wrote:All schools can offer Further Maths now through the Further Maths Support Programme.

But it doesn't mean that they do, sadly.

Agree its important to make it clear on PS where extra study has been undertaken above that provided by school.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Calling Tinkers....my DS has chosen chem, biol, maths and Spanish, will start L6 th in Sept. Will probably only take maths to AS.
He aspires at the moment to read Chem Eng or Natural Sciences.
He doesn't want to do Physics A level even though he's good at it :/
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

In my Year 13s I have 5 aspiring engineers, Bless 'em! One ChemEng with offer from his first choice imperial (maths, physics , chem )
Civil eng x2 ( maths, physics, chem - both did DT at AS) ( Bath Uni)
2 x Mech Eng ( phys, chem maths & further maths - Bath & Imperial)

They all tell me further maths wasn't a requirement on any of their chosen courses.

Good luck making your choices
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks, now to get DS on an even keel again. Luckily he has his week at a university has come through. Now to find some relevant work experience.
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

I studied Civil Engineering back in the day.Quite a few students struggled with the Maths component.I would say a good Maths A level is necessary ,but not further Maths.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yummiemummie.

He must do A level maths if he isn't doing AS physics. Some chem eng courses will take students without A level physics, though I'd still advise he does it, maybe to AS?

Some courses will take you with AS maths as long as you have A level in physics. Again I would recommend doing A level maths for all the reasons we have been discussing further maths on here.

Engineering degrees are quite maths intensive. Seriously. If he doesn't want to do a full maths A level, is it because he doesn't like maths or struggles with maths? If so, then as much as I love to encourage more people into engineering, I'd question whether it's the right choice.

(Chemistry and biology are good though, possibly also look at biochemical engineering options?)

Look at the course requirements for chem eng degree courses, but bear in mind chem eng has become very popular in recent years. There has been a considerably increase in the numbers applying. Unis can afford to pick and choose students.

As for natural science, I'm no expert so look at course requirements.