Dropping an AS level in Year 12 - likely impact

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Charlie Barley

Dropping an AS level in Year 12 - likely impact

Post by Charlie Barley »

Hello all, I’d really appreciate some advice on an issue my family are going round in circles on!

My DC is in Yr 12, currently doing five subjects (including maths A level this year). One of the AS subjects isn’t going at all well. Current predicted grade is a D. This subject doesn’t relate at all to planned university study.

My DC accepts that more effort is possible but is not convinced that it will make a significant difference (given DC’s already very full life & quite frankly lack of aptitude for this subject I agree!). I really didn’t want my DC to do five subjects in the first place, but they wanted to give it a go. However, I’ve always been the kind of parent who encourages my kids to see things through & not give up just because they find something hard. I also value study for its own sake.

So it goes against the grain a bit that I am feeling that perhaps my DC should cut their losses & give this subject up. I’m worried of course that keeping it on might impact negatively on the other subjects. I’m also nervous about how university admissions might view a low grade AS, even though hopefully my DC should have a good A level & three other ASs by the time they apply.

We’ve discussed this with subject teachers and the Head of Sixth form. They think my DC should keep it on & give it a go. My DC is leaning towards giving up, but I know is worried about what people will think (ie, that they couldn’t cope / weren’t as clever as people had thought etc).

I’d be really interested in others views/experiences. Sorry for the long post.
Amber

Re: Dropping an AS level in Year 12 - likely impact

Post by Amber »

Hi.
This may be better in the Sixth Form forum.

My opinion is that 5 subjects is too many to do properly anyway and there is no merit in continuing, which may have a negative effect on his/her other subjects. There is no shame in admitting a mistake - it is a skill which has been largely lost from public life in this country, but mistakes are valuable if we learn from them. Let your DC decide - s/he is old enough now to understand the implications both ways and has sought advice from others so has dealt with it in a mature way.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good idea - I'll move it to the sixth form section

My feeling would be that 5 is too many particularly if one is causing excess grief! Dropping it now means it will never appear on the UCAS form
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Drop it - far better to have four strong AS grades.

It is harder now all the module exams are taken in June ...
KB

Post by KB »

If all 5 are proper subjects ( ie not including GS, Crit thinking etc) then I would definitely drop the 5th - 4 proper AS subjects is quite sufficient.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

yes I agree drop it, a 'D' as your 5th AS looks worse then just 4 AS's, and you can get into top uni's with just 3 AS's.
Charlie Barley

Post by Charlie Barley »

Thanks very much for all your replies.

Amber, you’re right. My DC needs to decide! When asked for advice I’ve stayed on the fence, putting the sides both for & against each option. But I think now I will come out in favour of dropping the 5th!

KB – luckily, all subjects are what would be considered the solid / traditional type. :D
KB

Post by KB »

Charlie Barley wrote:Thanks very much for all your replies.

KB – luckily, all subjects are what would be considered the solid / traditional type. :D
Then I would venture that the 5th may be more for the school's benefit than DC and it is definitely not worth continuing - much better to get 4 good grades than risk 4 slightly less good ones and 1 poor one or burn out trying.
There are a few who get 5 good ones (even at A2) but they are the exception and it really isn't necessary, even for the most competitive courses.
moved

Post by moved »

DS dropped further maths at half-term. He has never been happier at school than after this decision. He will take French A level this summer and will then only have maths, physics and chemistry to take next year. I will encourage him to take AS further maths next year though.

No one needs 5 A levels - just plain silly!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now