A level choices

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SteveDH

Re: A level choices

Post by SteveDH »

I wonder what things will be like when schools stop doing AS exams..
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is a huge concen to me.

Currently very few students know which AS they will drop and things often change during Year 12. I cannot see the point of the 'reform'; to me it is a retrograde step. I hope someone will see sense and that it does not happen.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

AS at year 12 gave a very valuable feedback and made A2 level choices a bit easier to make. Don't schools allow to do 4 A2 subjects, if students want and are able to do so? Also does taking 4 A2 subjects effect grade requirements by Uni, e.g another A or B in the 4th subject?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Schools will allow 4 A2s but, yes, the danger is that the offer will be for four grades ..
ginx

Post by ginx »

copella,

I'm in a different boat but also have a problem with my son's choices.

He has mild special needs so we were delighted and relieved when he achieved 8 B grades (inc English, English Lit, Maths, French, triple Science, French) and 2 C grades, ICT and geography. We had assumed he would get C's and D's having been told he would never achieve much.

It greatly helped us that his grades were broken down for Edexcel subjects to show what he gained for coursework and practicals in sciences. His best subjects are clearly maths and physics. Following an induction day in physics, he has decided it is too much for him.

So he is doing statistical maths, chemistry, biology - and art. He didn't even do art GCSE. He is naturally lazy, he could be good at art if he tries. Unfortunately he gave it up in Year 8, having no choice really as he wanted to do triple science. That was a mistake. He has this vague dream of being a designer, never having shown interest in making anything. That said, he is good at drawing - but that is all. He's done a few drawings for the art teacher and she is satisfied he has the talent.

Following arguments over the years about encouraging him to do ICT (which he hated from year 10), he is insisting that he knows what he wants to do.

We just really think he should not do art, but should do physics, as he did very well in his coursework/practicals.

We have tried gently to discourage him, but he is adamant he wants to do art - he is stubborn and the more we argue, the more determined he is to do art.

He wants to go to university, has no idea what to do, other than his dream of design, he is looking for realistic courses that want low A levels (C's), as that is probably what he will get (assuming all goes well).

What can we do? We really do not think he has the motivation to do art. What can we do?

I must add that we are terribly proud of him. For a boy with his problems, he has done brilliantly. So why is he doing art?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What about graphics or product design? This would fit with maths ...

Physics A level is a big step up from GCSE and the mark schemes are 'picky' (colleagues views). Practicals are not a big part of A level ...
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Plus if it all goes wrong, guess who will be blamed ...

My parents wanted me to do biochemistry - I didn't know what that was and I don't think they did; they must have heard someone mention it - even though I wasn't great at science. Thankfully I was stubborn.

Forgot to say congratulations.
copella

Post by copella »

Congrats Ginx, it's great when the expected D's don't turn up isn't it. Amazingly my DS did better on his written papers than the controlled assessments which when I think about it really annoys me as the chance to repeat one could have pushed a B to an A. However I am trying not to dwell on it as he did well and is moving on to the next stage. I think that now it is over to him. We are there to support him but the decision of economics or Geog has to be his. We both did Geog A levels and so clearly are more likely to want him to do this, but we are not sitting the exam and the leap to A levels is big.

Can your son talk to teachers to help him understand the level of work needed for art? Like you this is something I have always tried to steer ours away from as it is such a time intensive subject and you really have to work at it. At least he has an idea of what he wants to do. There is a vague notion of engineering around here but nothing more.

When does your son have to decide by? Mine enrols on Friday as an external applicant to his new school. So we still have some time left to think it through. Good luck.
KB

Post by KB »

Product design would certainly be a sensible option - less academically challenging than physics but still uses technical skills that he seems to have ( being good at maths and physics) Its no easy option but might satisfy his artistic leanings ( still quite a bit if drawing involved ).
There is a lot of course work so if exams are difficult for him that would be an advantage over physics.

May I ask why statistics rather than maths? If he has a talent for physics then wouldn't a maths syllabus basic or pure and mechanics be better?

Is he likely to drop the 4th AS at A2 anyway?

Congratulations on the GCSE results!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Would echo the support for product design/ engineering design - see https://nationalcareersservice.direct.g ... ineer.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With his maths/physics talents it would be foolish to rule this out at this stage: perhaps he needs to think about what sorts of things he might like to be "designing" - cars or chocolate wrappers ? Bridges or brooches? Factories or fridges? And there is always the advanced apprenticeship route if the exam-based A level system doesn't suit - I know a young man who switched to one of these with a major motor manufacturer after a year of not really getting on with A Levels.

"Designer " is such a vague term - does he mean Laurence Llewelyn Bowen or James Dyson? Encouraging him to look beyond the short-term ( but what a crying shame that the Physics induction was off-putting....) Maths, Phyiscs, Design Tech and Art might be a viable combination, but check very carefully what might be acceptable to degree courses if that's what he envisages in 2 years time...