Feel at a loss - re Personal Statement - nothing of interest

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: Feel at a loss - re Personal Statement - nothing of inte

Post by moved »

NRICH teach a STEP programme in the summer but it has very limited availability.
Eligibility

Current Year 12 (or equivalent) students who intend to apply to the University of Cambridge in October 2014 to study Mathematics are invited to apply for the Maths STEP Prep Summer School. Only applications from students at non-selective UK state-maintained schools and colleges that offer little or no support for STEP can be considered.

We particularly encourage applications from students who meet some or all of the following criteria:

will be the first generation in their family to attend university
attend a school or college with low overall progression to Cambridge
come from a neighbourhood with low overall progression to higher education
are (or have been) looked after, accommodated or in care
In addition to the above criteria, applicants are assessed on evidence of outstanding academic potential, a reference from their Maths teacher and their own statement of interest.

For those who don't fit this category they have worked examples on the NRICH site.

http://nrich.maths.org/step" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

School should offer STEP support or there is online support through MEI http://www.mei.org.uk/stepaea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

There is also a really interesting thread on TSR begun by a Christ's Admissions tutor earlier in September. I would encourage him to look at engineering (DH used to interview at Oxford and Newcastle) as many prospective engineers are not especially stunning even at Oxford. Many people do not think of engineering as it isn't an A level subject so the field can be weaker than that for Maths - not very much but every little helps!
DD's view of the Maths students at Oxford is that many of them are nice enough but they are almost all very strange indeed so if your child is not a geek then maybe, again, engineering might be better and lead to more jobs?
Cambridge will really want UMS over 95% for natural sciences and its over all 4AS levels if you have done further maths. They also take into account the 3 highest, the average of the science ASs and the average of maths and further maths.
The other thing that seems to be coming in as far as engineering goes is the dreaded Work Expeience - not yet required but a very good way of making an application stand out.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Oxbridge really isn't the best place for engineering imho.

Some good points about maths degrees; there is a vast difference in the content and it depends on where you see yourslef taking it afterwards. If you enjoy mechanics and statistics maybe look beyond Oxbridge?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Guest55 wrote:Oxbridge really isn't the best place for engineering imho.
Have to agree. Probably great if you are really academic and want to go into research or do something other than engineering. However if you actually want to be an engineer, then other unis will offer a much better engineering education.

I work for a large organisation and have worked in several places, and I haven't come across any Oxbridge engineers. Just talked to DH who used to interview grads, and while they went to Oxbridge as part of the milk round they would get very few applicants.

I'd also say, don't go into engineering because you can't think of what else to do.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I'd also say, don't go into engineering because you can't think of what else to do.

Doh. :oops:
solimum

Post by solimum »

Just to post a couple of contrary anecdotes - as the proud mother of an Oxford mathematician he and those of his mathematical friends I have met are certainly not especially odd- (all the odd ones go to Trinity, Cambridge, surely...)

And I also know a very personable Oxford engineer who is now in her first graduate job helping to build the tram extension through Birmingham, complete with hard hat and hi-viz jacket...
moved

Post by moved »

He should have a good look at the STEP papers as Cambridge admissions take the results over the A level result as they feel they are more indicative of the level of study at Cambridge.

One girl from a local grammar got 2A* in maths/further and As in three other academic A levels but was still turned away by Cambridge as she didn't do well enough in STEP.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

moved wrote:He should have a good look at the STEP papers as Cambridge admissions take the results over the A level result as they feel they are more indicative of the level of study at Cambridge.

One girl from a local grammar got 2A* in maths/further and As in three other academic A levels but was still turned away by Cambridge as she didn't do well enough in STEP.
Their loss, surely. I know a similar story where they really have lost an outstanding student.
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sorry - not on here a lot currently as have loads on the boil - all info posted already spot on - my biggest question is "why?" why does he want to study maths at Oxbridge - from your comment "he's done nothing about it" I would be very worried as a CA as it sounds like he hasn't really looked at courses on offer there or elsewhere. Maths is massively varied at Degree level and if he has an idea for post degree, then he needs to work backwards from there. Certainly an extended knowledge of his subject is more important than reams and reams of additional activities that he has just cobbled together to plop on his UCAS PS. And yes, they both have their own entrance tests too and take a lot of notice of these (as well as requiring high A level grades) - and they are very tricky so, if he is genuinely interested, then he needs to start getting his finger out. Most importantly, make sure he has realistic and achievable back up option Universities on his Ucas form.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now