EDexcel RS

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Minesh

EDexcel RS

Post by Minesh »

Does anyone know much about AS RE/RS?

Looking at schools' results over 3 years the number of A*s at A2 seem depressed; is it particularly difficult to get A* at A2 (does it have a hang-over as a 'easy' subject?)
I personally would have thought a very goodcourse of study - all the transferable skills of analysis, discussion, literacy, developing tolerance and understanding etc

But why not so many A*s? - could this just be over last 3 years co-i :?:ncidentally at 3 separate schools

Come on some statisticians - I'm sure you'll guide me to more meaningful analyses of tables, VA etc
Also where does it rank in terms of how much the Grade at GCSE impacts the A2 Grade - there is table somewhere where Physics is at top, geography one of the subjects where GCSE grade least affects A2 outcome?

thanks for any advice - and hope makes sense :?
Guest55

Re: EDexcel RS

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/ ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The grade statistics will give you a breakdown of % of grades awarded - new website in development but look here:

http://beta.qualifications.pearson.com/ ... ly=A-Level" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KenR

Post by KenR »

My other half (who is a 6th Form Biology teacher) is highly critical of the A*/A grading. It seems to be quite a common experience that her best students are often not the ones to get A*s at A2!
KB

Post by KB »

When we looked into this it seemed that the specification was quite vague and overall it seemed that the course was quite philosophy ethics oriented.
We also thought the course would be a good preparation for degree studies but rejected it because of potential to get poor mark despite hard work.
From what we saw there is a huge range of what you can study and the questions can come from any direction so there is pot luck involved as to whether you have the material in your head to answer the questions, always assuming you figure out what the questions are getting at.

At degree level, where the marking system is very different this approach is quite normal but given the A level marking procedures we were concerned.

There also seemed to be a lot of 'how you do on the day' and less about being able to practice until fully prepared. Obviously there are both elements in every exam but more of the latter seems a safer bet!
Minesh

Post by Minesh »

Thank you very much KB and as always Guest 55 - clear minded responses

KB - i'm glad you explained something i couldn't quite put my finger on - the breadth of content and 'luck of the draw on the day' - equals depressed A*s
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now