Computer science, Computing and Electronics at A level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Computer science, Computing and Electronics at A level

Post by ToadMum »

Olive wrote:With regard RG vs non RG, I work in the finance industry... suffice to say, it is a very competitive area for CS graduates.
Most senior IT managers rarely consider non RG applicants. I have a number of CS working for me and ALL of them are from the higher ranking RG universities. Furthermore, we have a number of research projects outsourced to universities... again, they are all top RGs.
I do hope the companies concerned save themselves from wasting time on the applicants with qualifications from the wrong universities by stating clearly in their advertisements - or at least in their spec - that the posts are only open to graduates of specific institutions?

Or do they prefer the kudos of being able to claim how even more sought-after they are, by including an inflated number of 'automatic rejects' in their statistics?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This type of 'selection' is also illegal if it is not specified in the advert ...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I would like as many opinions as possible from my very erudite friends on this forum.

Imagine you are an admission tutor for Computer Science for one of the top 10 RG unis (excluding Oxbrigde and ICL-just to keep things real)

predicted grades are as follow given that every thing else is equal between the candidates.

candidate (a)
has maths, FM, physics and computing with grades A,A,A,A* at A level(in that corresponding order).

or AAA and A(in AS computing)

candidate (b)
has maths,FM,physics and chemistry with grades A,A,A,B at A level(in that order)

or AAA and B (in AS chemistry)

which candidate would you choose?
Last edited by Catseye on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It depends on more than qualifications surely? What is the person like? Will they contribute to the department? What is their PS like?

A language might be of interest too rather than Computer Studies?

Remember, usually they are offering on predictions ...
Last edited by Guest55 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:It depends on more than qualifications surely? What is the person like? Will they contribute to the department? What is their PS like?
Good point I should of added" if all else is equal"

ok g55 I will amend the above, your pedantic need for precision gives you away as a mathematician :D
KB

Post by KB »

Find a decent chemistry teacher and avoid the issue arising ? :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:This type of 'selection' is also illegal if it is not specified in the advert ...
But no doubt they only employ HR people and lawyers from the right sort of universities, who would know how to protect them from nasty iniquitous things such as employment laws?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KB wrote:Find a decent chemistry teacher and avoid the issue arising ? :)
now KB that was not in the options list of this game so stop sitting on the fence :lol:

anymore of this provocation I will withdraw your nomination for the OBE !
KB

Post by KB »

:(

I was sort of serious in so far as trying to figure exactly what the issue is.

Are you wanting to know if it's better to take Computing in which one might get A* than Chemistry in which one might only get a B , (assuming strong grades in maths, FM & physics)

In a theoretical situation there are too many unknown variables to do anything but guess. If the Uni only asks for 3 A levels then it probably wouldn't matter. Not sure that me making a guess helps you much!

If its a real life situation ie should a particular person take computing rather than chemistry because they are likely to get a better grade, then two points.
Getting an A* is very tough because of the pressure in final exams - its not possible to get anything in the bank beforehand so putting all ones eggs in a basket that relies on it is risky.
If someone is capable of top grades in maths, FM , physics and computing then with the right attitude and good teaching they should be capable of an A in chemistry , at the very least at AS level.

In reality I think there is no clear answer and I'd let the person involved make the decision in this case.

Knowledgeable as we lot are I wonder if you,d be better off for the person involved to email admissions tutors at appropriate universities to ask a direct question.

All the best.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In addition, some schools are now offering only three linear A levels from next September.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now