Personal Statement and DC attributes

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Personal Statement and DC attributes

Post by Guest55 »

I agree kenyancowgirl.

There is a huge difference between telling your child they are going to study medicine or dentistry and supporting them in making an informed application.

I've helped thousands of students with UCAS applications and so it would have been very silly to refuse to support my own child through the process. He chose the degree, the unis to visit and asked for feedback on his PS [in addition to the support at school] - none of this is 'helicopter parenting'.

When they are spending circa 50K and signing up to a huge debt then they are being sensible in asking for some input if they want it; it's part of becoming independent to know when a second opinion might be useful.
copella

Post by copella »

Ditto G55 and kenyancowgirl. My ds could not decide between two courses and this really stressed him out. We sat with him going over the pros and cons because this is a huge decision for him and we want to help him get it right. He has also had help at school from the careers teacher and head of 6th form with his personal statement. He needs to shorten it a bit more (last 100 characters) and we will help him so that he can submit it this week. Isn't that what parents do if their child needs/requests help. No guilt here or sounds of rota blades. All our friends seem to be offering the same level of support as well.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Any advice for Personal statements for a mixture of applications of single honours and dual honours courses. DD applying for Philosophy in various combinations. She was worried about what she should /should not include on the PS as her first choice uni course was for single honours Philosophy/Theology and her second choice uni was for dual honours Philosophy/Music. She was worried if she included to many music references on the PS it may make her less favourable to her first choice.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

CarpeDiem wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 pm Any advice for Personal statements for a mixture of applications of single honours and dual honours courses. DD applying for Philosophy in various combinations. She was worried about what she should /should not include on the PS as her first choice uni course was for single honours Philosophy/Theology and her second choice uni was for dual honours Philosophy/Music. She was worried if she included to many music references on the PS it may make her less favourable to her first choice.
I have been told this is an issue when trying to adapt the Personal Statement so it covers two different courses.

Can she creatively link the two so that the statement will be read by the admissions team and they’ll see in it what they want?

random blurb eg “Philosphy is a fascinating subject, what makes us who we are, and study of the human condition and of how we find our place in the world is something that can be done on so many levels. I’d love to explore this at a degree level to develop my own understanding further.
One of the ways I experience the profound is through music: I play the <insert instrument> in <insert group, experience or youtube channel>. I am especially interested in the crossover between secular and sacred music, and how theology interacts with the music I study and create. It’s almost like a Venn diagram where the three aspects of thought, music and sacred works interact”
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now