EPQ Extended Project Qualification. Why?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Re: EPQ Extended Project Qualification. Why?

Post by KB »

If you do it then you need to do it well so need the spare capacity.
What Unis, especially top tier, look for is evidence of passion for and commitment to the subject applied for.
The EPQ qualification in itself may not help but being able to talk about your subject 'beyond the curriculum' as a result certainly will.
Certainly this can be acheived in other ways so it depends on the student what suits them best. However it shouldn't be confused with non subject specific extra curricular activities.

Not convinced that EPQs are appropriate for year 10 pupils. Few have the maturity either academically or developmentally to really undertake them properly.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ds1 is just finishing an History EPQ - final draft due in at Christmas. He is in Year 9. It has been a real eye opener for him as to the amount of research and having to learn on the hoof about structuring a proper History essay, referencing etc. I think it is really tough doing it so young but understand why they do it this year (they do a 3 year GCSE course) as it allows them to practice the skills they will need later on. But very hard work at 14 years old!
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Ds1 is just finishing an History EPQ - final draft due in at Christmas. He is in Year 9.
:shock:
kenyancowgirl wrote:(they do a 3 year GCSE course)
:shock: again. I thought this practice had been ruled out? I must be behind the times.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

RE 3 year GCSE - all the comprehensives around here (and we are on the edge of London so there are lots of them) start GCSEs at the beginning of year 9 - many have to choose options before Easter of year 8. We tried hard to find a school a couple of years ago which didn't but no luck. The grammar schools still seem to be sticking to 2 year GCSEs. Not sure how this will work as the specifications for the 'new' GCSEs haven't been published yet, so how the children are meant to choose I'm not sure.

Re the EPQ. DS school (independent) encourages the students to do an independent research project between the end of AS levels and the beginning of Year 13. They present them at the beginning of term in Year 13 and there are prizes for the best. It encourages independent study and gives them something to put on UCAS forms to show their interest in the subject, but doesn't interfere with exams so much. Does make for a busy summer holiday, though. DS is already beginning to think about his subject.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't they start teaching A2? There's time to do a good chunk of new work before the end of term.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Ds1 is just finishing an History EPQ - final draft due in at Christmas. He is in Year 9.
I now know everything I need to know about the rigor of this A level, if 13yr old are doing it.

how many 13yr olds do you know could do A level physics or any of the established A levels at that age?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

He has really enjoyed doing it, despite the scary amount of work - I think this must be a GCSE level EPQ though, rather than an A level one.

As for the 3 year GCSE course - I think it will be an advantage with the new curriculum/system, which, quite frankly is the old system (ie the one I had at school!) I did a 3 year O level course. With options now, the way schools set the timetables, all the core subjects and blocks mean it is very difficult not to get a good broad base so, although Year 8 seemed early to make option choices, as a Careers Adviser, I can see that no jobs/uni courses have been ruled out at this stage.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KCG - how can they be teaching a syllabus that is not out yet?!
KB

Post by KB »

Is there a GCSE EPQ and an A level EPQ? Very confusing!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest 55 - they're not! What I mean is that they have kept with a 3 year course - as far as I can see, going back to linear type exams etc is just going full circle to O levels again (frankly the content of the courses isn't going to be wildly different) and the 3 year O level worked well for me!

KB - it is an Edexcel EPQ and ds1 thought the teacher said it was equivalent to half a GCSE so, I guess there may well be.