Increased education leaving age

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Increased education leaving age

Post by Minesatea »

Now that young people must be in some form of education or training until age 18, what happens if they do not get a place anywhere, or they start a course and don't complete it. Is the LEA obliged to find them something or is it the young person or their parents responsibility? And does anybody do anything about it if they are not in education?
Yamin151

Re: Increased education leaving age

Post by Yamin151 »

Good point. And no idea!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Participation of young people in education, employment or training
Statutory guidance for local authorities

Probably in the above document somewhere - sorry, I have downloaded it to my phone but can't copy a link to it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

Michael Gove is now the justice secretary, but was education secretary when the decision was taken to raise the school leaving age. I can't imagine in his new role he would be inclined to do nothing about it if young people aren't doing as he intended.

I understand he is in favour of capital punishment. :wink:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Amber wrote:Michael Gove is now the justice secretary, but was education secretary when the decision was taken to raise the school leaving age. I can't imagine in his new role he would be inclined to do nothing about it if young people aren't doing as he intended.

I understand he is in favour of capital punishment. :wink:
Most people are in favour of capital punishment according to most opinion polls but the majority is reducing.But would you believe in opinion polls?

Michael Gove seems to know what he is doing backing off on the Human Rights Act abolition until he gets the complicated details right.The new education secretary is disappointing and Michael Gove will be seen in time as a great Education Secretary.History is the best judge.

Human beings have not got more intelligent neither have there offspring and when you see the grade inflation at all levels from SATS,GCSE's, A levels to the number of first class degrees being awarded you realise the truth.Any reforming politician has to deal with the vested interests in the area he wants to change.There is nothing wrong in believing in excellence and wanting the best for each child without the smoke and mirrors we are constantly presented with.Maybe we should hang any teachers who disagreed with his changes. :wink: North Korea here we come.

Maybe we should poison any dissenters Russia here we come. :wink:
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
copella

Post by copella »

Are you ok Quasimodo? I think Amber was just teasing.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

So am I, it is late at night and a lot is said in gest.I'll let you work out the bits with which I agree. :D
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

"Human beings have not got more intelligent neither have there offspring and when you see the grade inflation at all levels from SATS,GCSE's, A levels to the number of first class degrees being awarded you realise the truth."

There has been a marginal increase in IQ over the last few decades.

I do on occasions have contact with undergraduates at both Manchester Uni and The Met(the old Poly) and I would say they are much more studious than we were in the 70-80s, I think most of my generation were either (more often than not) drunk or recovering from a severe hang-over back in my day :oops:

Pressure from 11+ to even post-grad is much, much more intense today than it ever was in our day, long gone are the days when with a few good O levels one could walk into a half decent job.

Teaching on the whole is infinitely better for most and standards have improved overall, contrary to what we old f-rts believe and constantly feel the need to remind our young people the same old boring but false myth " it was much harder in my day you know"

Even if true we did not have to compete in a global market!
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

as always this forum is fermented between those that like Gove and those that don't.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks for that toadmum, it was exciting reading! :wink:
It talks a lot about the LEA needing to support the young person to re-engage with education, but is somewhat lacking in practical advice and doesn't seem to cover the problem of no suitable place being available!
As an aside though, I didn't realise that gap years under 18 are still OK as long as your DC is not in the country, so if I get totally fed up with any of mine I can send them to their uncle!