A level in computing

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vasu

A level in computing

Post by vasu »

Now I will sound completely out of my depth here, so please bear with me. My ds is currently in year 9 and just gave his GCSE computing externally. In this process he fell in love with computing and wants to do A level too. Now I believe that A level is like major leagues. It is really hard and demanding. As it is not offered in his school hence I need to find some tutor. I just want any inputs on the subject or doing it with the help of a tutor. A level seems a bit daunting! Phew!
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
tiffinboys

Re: A level in computing

Post by tiffinboys »

My ds is currently in year 9 and just gave his GCSE computing externally.
Phew... Wonderful...
As it is not offered in his school
Change the school..
I just want any inputs on the subject or doing it with the help of a tutor. A level seems a bit daunting! Phew!
Some thing like this might help.
http://www.harrow.ac.uk/course-search.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vasu

Post by vasu »

Tiffinboys ..oh I do want to explore other options for changing in 6th form. But that is a whole other matter. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A level computing is not needed for any computing degree - he would be better served by learning Python and programmimg a raspberry pi.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Guest55 wrote:A level computing is not needed for any computing degree
There are some top flight Computer Science courses that do in fact accept CS in lieu of Maths

e.g Birmingham University CS BSe

Typical offer: AAA

Required subjects and grades: A Level in Maths and/or Computing. We also require Grade B in GCSE Mathematics (if not offered at A Level) and Grade C in GCSE English.

General Studies: or Critical Thinking not accepted.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergradua ... quirements

there has been an overhaul of the Computer Science at A level with greater emphasis on Maths starting in Sept 2015
KB

Post by KB »

Universities may accept A level computing but so long as it isn't offered by all they are unlikely to make it compulsory.
Besides which they want GCSEs and A levels to be taken at the appropriate time and together so taking A level computing in year 10 isn't necessarily beneficial.
As G55 suggests there are plenty of other ways of developing skills and if it comes to it demonstrating interest and commitment when applying to University.
If children have an interest in or a talent for a subject it can actually be constrained by an exam syllabus. Facilitating them exploring further can be much more rewarding.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not sure Birmingham is a good example - most Computing degrees ask for Maths and some for Further Maths as well.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I have done significant amount of research on computing courses .

The best combination of A levels is Maths, Physics, FM(if offered) and as fourth subject any Science including Computer Science(if offered).

Computer Science is now a compulsory subject alongside English, Maths, history ect upto KS3 and is one of sciences that contributes toward the Ebac

All children should be able to do some programming( usually Python , quite simple a bit like the Basic Language we old farts did)

This is rapidly changing field the UK has finally woken up to it's importance, I predict within 10yrs it will be more respected than the traditional Sciences .
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye - academies do not need to follow the NC and most Secondary schools are academies. Many aren't offering computing at all ...

I don't think uni requirements will change, and indeed they can't, until more schools offer Computing. The current budgets do not allow additional staff or new departments to be set up.
vasu

Post by vasu »

I do agree with Guest55 on the point of not gunning for Computing A level at this point. I am actively looking for courses to enhancing his computing skills. DH is in IT. He will ask programmers in his team to give suggestions for what courses to follow. If ds still is keen to pursue A levels, I will look for a tutor then.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now