Personal Statement

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
honscupboard

Personal Statement

Post by honscupboard »

DC just about to start first draft, not much guidance from school and I am not getting involved! Wondered if any experts here could recommend book/web pages that I could point DC towards. :D
Guest55

Re: Personal Statement

Post by Guest55 »

The student room is good although some sections are 'interesting'.

Also try this:

http://www.studential.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copella

Post by copella »

Make sure your DS doesn't copy any he sees as they pass all of them through a programme and they can tell which gave been plagiarised. My DS is thankfully having lots of help to think about structuring his. The school advise using ABC to help think ie Activity - what gave you done such as play a sport, Benefit - what skills have you gained ie good communication and course - how will this prepare you fir the course.

An intro re why thus subject, academic achievements, work experience/ volunteering, extra curricular activities and then conclusion ie why they should offer you the place. Are you visiting any Unis all the ones we have seen gave a talk on personal statements.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

have a look at Student Room http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Advice I heard was they don't want much on extra curricular stuff unless it is REALLY relevant "a line or two will do"

They want some serious interest in the subject, bit more reading around it and why it interests you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry to disagree with you herman but extra curricular is important. We suggest a quarter to a third depending on the course.

However, as posted above, it's the skills you've learnt e.g. working with others, time management etc not a list of what you've done!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry to disagree with you herman but extra curricular is important. We suggest a quarter to a third depending on the course.

However, as posted above, it's the skills you've learnt e.g. working with others, time management etc not a list of what you've done!

I am only repeating what I heard at all the uni visits we went on!

I have to say that teachers have said you need to include more but the unis certainly didn't agree... of course that may been the Unis that we visited : Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Edinburgh, Exeter etc etc . May be different elsewhere.

Plenty of success in this household for academic courses with just a one liner.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You have to write a statement that ticks boxes for a few unis - and the advice I've heard is different!

It probably depends on individual departments but you do need to 'appeal' to a range of unis. No-one should just apply to Oxbridge and those who want very high grades.

Also the PS is looked at again if the grades are just missed ...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:. No-one should just apply to Oxbridge and those who want very high grades.
Why not? What if they aren't interested / course doesn't run elsewhere / would rather study abroad etc etc
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

hermanmunster wrote: Why not? What if they aren't interested / course doesn't run elsewhere / would rather study abroad etc etc
There's no point applying to 4 medicine course all of which require high BMAT for example in case that doesn't go well.

I'm not suggesting applying anywhere but for maths I'd never suggest going for 5 courses wanting A*AA (or higher) ... no back-up plan at all. Few of our look abroad ...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote: Why not? What if they aren't interested / course doesn't run elsewhere / would rather study abroad etc etc
There's no point applying to 4 medicine course all of which require high BMAT for example in case that doesn't go well.

I'm not suggesting applying anywhere but for maths I'd never suggest going for 5 courses wanting A*AA (or higher) ... no back-up plan at all. Few of our look abroad ...
Sorry wasn't thinking science courses :oops: kids have seen the light re medicine etc.