Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Re: Fingers crossed for Thursday

Post by quasimodo »

muffinmonster wrote:
quasimodo wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ce-english

Good luck to all those waiting on AS and A2 results tomorrow.

I know my niece is waiting anxiously on her AS results particularly on her Physics which she has worked hard on but struggled.Its not a subject she wants to drop as she hopes to pursue a degree in engineering.Although her year group comprises about 30 per cent of girls in this boys school she is the only girl taking physics.

I hope she has a :D face tomorrow.
Quasimodo, similar situation here but we are further down the line. DD is awaiting A2 results and has had a mountain to climb in getting to grips with Physics. She got a D at AS and I thought the school would not let her continue with it, but they did. She has worked really hard this year and raised her game (resat 3 Physics papers!) and she needs a B for her engineering course. She is one of only two girls doing Physics in her school. I am proud of her effort and determination and will be hugely impressed if she gets the results she needs.
Good luck, she deserves for her effort to be rewarded.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KB

Post by KB »

Oh dear Quasimodo, that hasnt lifted my spirits at all!

I had heard that some science papers were tough. There was also the 'impossible' physics question. I know they are supposed to 'allow' for such things bit I don't see how they can know how much impact it had on each student. It's not just marks for the dodgy question but wasted time and throwing their concentration for the rest of the paper.

It does make me cross when the students work so hard and them the exam boards don't do their jobs properly and check the questions!
mad?

Post by mad? »

KB wrote: It does make me cross when the students work so hard and them the exam boards don't do their jobs properly and check the questions!
Indeed. :twisted:
Last edited by mad? on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I know how you feel I remember the outcry over the C3 paper in A2 Edexcel maths in 2013 which impacted on thousands including my eldest dd.She came through on the other side even though it impacted on her grade.She more than made up for it with her other grades.

Look to the positive and if one door closes others will open.

"Positive anything is better than negative nothing" Elbert Hubbard.

Some of the children developed a sense of humour I remember this video uploaded by one of the children.Hopefully you have a broad sense of humour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EW8N60kHkU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by quasimodo on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you and your DC want to entertain / torture / reassure yourselves for a few hours until the actual results are out, grade boundaries are available to view on the various boards' websites. There are links to all of them in one place at the top of a thread on tomorrow's results on TSR (it will be under the 'latest' tab and no doubt 'trending' too). Not necessarily much help unless one has had access to a mark scheme and has a good memory for what one actually wrote on the exam paper, granted, and as DS1 says, there is nothing to be done about it now, but it have me something to do for a few minutes, working out how he might have managed an A* in maths (or not, as the case may be :? ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

Not a route I think I'll take, thanks all the same!
This one never talks about exams. All I got this time was ' don't expect too much' so I wouldn't get very far anyway ....

Do so hope everyone gets enough to set them off on a path that works for them.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

MY DD is already planning a path that works for her - a gap year incorporating a trip to Thailand. :roll:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

If she gets to Bangkok she may want to go to this bar and restaurant it was one of my family's highlights.Meals in the restaurant have to be booked a month in advance and are expensive but its the view people go for which you can enjoy with a drink at the bar on the top of the tower.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... ngkok.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope she enjoys her year abroad prior to University.

Abraham Lincoln
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

quasimodo wrote:If she gets to Bangkok she may want to go to this bar and restaurant it was one of my family's highlights.Meals in the restaurant have to be booked a month in advance and are expensive but its the view people go for which you can enjoy with a drink at the bar on the top of the tower.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... ngkok.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope she enjoys her year abroad prior to University.
Thanks, Quasimodo! :D

Beset of luck to your DN, by the way.
tense

Post by tense »

Waiting for A2 results here & another dd doing physics & hoping to do engineering at uni. Am really nervous.

Good luck to all waiting & thanks to 'old hands' ( & others) for their kind words & advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now