Is it unwise to be away for AS results in year 12?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Is it unwise to be away for AS results in year 12?

Post by ToadMum »

Once all A levels are linear, one assumes that in schools which have decided not to teach the separate AS syllabus, moving on into year 13 will either be automatic, regardless, or will be decided by internal exams at the end of year 12, which will not require students to go in to school on a day in August?

On a slightly different note, every time I hear complaints about only having exams at the end of the two years my thought is, surely no school would have no kind of formative exams somewhere along the way, even if there are no external exams at the end of the first year of the course?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ToadMum wrote:On a slightly different note, every time I hear complaints about only having exams at the end of the two years my thought is, surely no school would have no kind of formative exams somewhere along the way, even if there are no external exams at the end of the first year of the course?
I didn't do a single exam in the Lower Sixth - just mocks in the spring term of the Upper Sixth. L6 was party time. :D
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

Sally-Anne wrote:
ToadMum wrote:On a slightly different note, every time I hear complaints about only having exams at the end of the two years my thought is, surely no school would have no kind of formative exams somewhere along the way, even if there are no external exams at the end of the first year of the course?
I didn't do a single exam in the Lower Sixth - just mocks in the spring term of the Upper Sixth. L6 was party time. :D
Me too, also I hardly did any work until the Easter hols in the Middle sixth as nothing counted apart from those exams right at the end.. kind of surprised some of my teachers that I actually passed my A levels... but yes L6 (and 1st half of M6) party time :)
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My interpretation of the OP is that they intend to be away on holidays. I do not see any significant reason why DC should attend school to collect results. However if the results are not what was hoped for being unable to discuss options with staff is not a good idea. Phones and emails may work but face to face is probably best.

Unfortunately whilst we have league tables and parental choice the inevitable showcasing of successful students is inevitable and doesn't bother me one iota, it is those at the other end of the stick who will need advice and that is best done at school.

I do think one of the unfortunate aspects of ASs is that some DC have very little time to get up to speed and spending a year doing a course at a school which you can be thrown off before completion is an unenviable position to be in. I for one would not be sitting here with A'levels or a degree if that had been the case in my day.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now