Refusing a 6th form place due to age?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

999 mum

Re: Refusing a 6th form place due to age?

Post by 999 mum »

So how many are you going to keep on the straight and narrow then? :oops: :oops:

(As if you don't have enough to do already!)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

999 mum wrote:So how many are you going to keep on the straight and narrow then? :oops: :oops:
None right now - 'tis the season of goodwill to all Head teachers.

I have been tempted, though; very tempted ...
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

If not you? (with your expertise)

Then who?
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Sally-Anne wrote:None right now - 'tis the season of goodwill to all Head teachers.
I thought it was the governing bodies that set the policies.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

999 mum wrote:I thought it was the governing bodies that set the policies.
It is, but it's often the Head personally who gets the grief. They are first in the firing line when a parent complains about an unfairness in a school's admissions policy, and that is often how these things come to light.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Catseye wrote:
Tolstoy wrote: Despite my son getting almost straight A* at gcse and should be able to get the Cambridge Qualifying Grades of A*AA-A*A*A at A level we are seriously considering an apprenticeship route for him for example The IBM futures Apprenticeship

http://www-05.ibm.com/employment/uk/sch ... s/futures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After which he could either then go to uni or stay with IBM and save himself a small fortune in terms of debt.

I have no idea what his school will make of this because all they are interested in is their own league table position and not what is in his best interest imho.
I know of a local high flying girl who has gone down this route with IBM in order to avoid the debt situation. It is great that there are decent alternatives appearing now.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Reading Mum wrote: It is great that there are decent alternatives appearing now.
Accenture Horizons Scheme is another one that we are interested in.

https://www.plotr.co.uk/careers/horizon ... /overview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Academic standard required is AAB at A level as well as VR and NVR tests and Interview.

For IBM I think the required calibre of applicants to be competitive are straight A/A* at GCSE and most seem to have A*AA at A level :shock: so top flight uni standard!

So not really accessible for your average student :roll:
KenR

Post by KenR »

The Accenture Gap year is a very good programme although I believe that for students planning to take degree course with a heavy Maths content you may find that any Gap year is sometimes frowned upon by many University departments.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

KenR wrote:I believe that for students planning to take degree course with a heavy Maths content you may find that any Gap year is sometimes frowned upon by many University departments.

Not if the candidates opts to take STEP,MAT or CSAT in the relevant yr of the intended entry to Uni :wink: ( this can be done independently even if one is not applying to Oxbridge,Imperial, Warwick or any of the top 10 RG Universities .

STEP,MAT or CSAT trumps any A level A*s at Maths or CS

Although I agree, advanced Maths skills can be lost quickly if not practiced and refined constantly.

Whats a year in the life of someone who would only be 17 by mid August 2017?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye - the best mathematicians do MAT and STEP alongside A levels .... no need for a gap year.