computing in the curriculum

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: computing in the curriculum

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed explanations, Catseye junior! :D :D You are a star! :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thank you, put my mind at rest as his laptop is only a year old so should be fine. Mine is ancient and very slow so later on I can always adopt his and he can either build his own (can see him enjoying that) or get something more up to date.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I am computer-literate only as far as switching it on and using it are concerned, otherwise all computer-related discussions are double-dutch to me and a difference between ICT and computing is lost on me, I'm afraid! :lol:

My DS is supposed to be doing Computer Science as one of his GCSE subjects next year - based on Catseye's and other's posts above I am guessing it is the 'right' computer subject to be doing, or have I got it wrong? I would be grateful if someone could confirm, please. Thank you :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

PurpleDuck wrote:I am computer-literate only as far as switching it on and using it are concerned, otherwise all computer-related discussions are double-dutch to me and a difference between ICT and computing is lost on me, I'm afraid! :lol:
My DS is supposed to be doing Computer Science as one of his GCSE subjects next year - based on Catseye's and other's posts above I am guessing it is the 'right' computer subject to be doing, or have I got it wrong? I would be grateful if someone could confirm, please. Thank you :)
Don't worry, you are not the only person for whom computing and coding is double Dutch! :wink:
Yes, you are right, GCSE Computer Science is a valuable GCSE and important for the future as technology evolves very quickly! :shock:
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you so much, JaneEyre, I can rest easy now (as long as DS does all his work properly, that is) :D Oh, and I can't spell either - Dutch should have had a capital 'D' in it in my previous post... :roll:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Options booklet should state the exam board and syllabus code so you can look up exactly what the course involves.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

I remember doing computer science many years ago at school. When I started, all the school had was a Teletype terminal connected to a local university, although later they did then get some research machines 380z's.
Computer science then consisted of learning about how computers worked and doing a nice big programming project at the end.
When I went to university, you'd hand in the program to the computer centre and get the results back a day later, so dry running 1st was essential.

I was surprised when my DD went through school, that they no longer had the chance to learn programming etc. so the fact that programming is now in the curriculum to me is a positive thing, although I am a little surprised that some universities don't like it, especially as I've seen the quality of some of the programmers universities are turning out.. although thats probably just down to experience.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

SteveDH wrote: although I am a little surprised that some universities don't like it
Its not that universities do not like it but more a matter that if your school does not offer it a candidate is not put at a disadvantage.

In fact after Maths&FM- CS and physics are about neck and neck in desirability for an undergraduate courses in CS.