A Level Physics without A Level Maths

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crekk

A Level Physics without A Level Maths

Post by crekk »

Hi, I've come to the dilemma that I want to study A Level Physics because I am interested in it an am willing to work at it to do well, the requirement is a B in Mathematics GCSE which I can get but I'm worried that this will not be enough to get me through, from what I have heard, the DOOM OF PHYSICS A LEVEL!!! Any help or experience would be most appreciated.

Me. :}
silverysea

Re: A Level Physics Without A Level Maths

Post by silverysea »

So just to clarify, you like physics but not so much maths?

What other subjects do you want to do?

Do you have some future careers in mind?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What are you thinking of studying at uni?

What other A levels are you planning on taking?

The new linear A level is still very new and very few students are taking Physics and not Maths.

Btw 'The Student Room' website might be more helpful or perhaps a mod could move this to a more appropriate area of this website?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I've moved this to the sixth form section.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

A Level Physics Without A Level Maths?

Not advisable -the language of physics is maths the two are intertwined like intimate lovers.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I did a level Physics a long time ago along with biology and chemistry and I think I would have had a better physics grade if I had also done maths as well or instead of one of the others. It was tricky though as I was aiming for dentistry and in the end, the grades I had were enough.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DS is in the upper sixth doing physics and maths, and he thinks the maths is really useful. His physics teacher told his class that he thought the new physics A-level needed more maths, so I would think about doing maths if possible.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Hi crekk. Its great that you are interested in physics and want to study it at A level as its a fascinating and important subject. I would also advise that you consider taking maths A level. It will be very useful for A-level physics and if you want to study physics or a related subject (like engineering) at an even higher level maths would be essential.

In particular there is a branch of maths called calculus which you may not have come across yet as I don't think its properly introduced until maths A-level (I'm prepared to be corrected on this though). It's widely used in physics as it describes how things change over time. Isaac Newton, clever bloke that he was, had to invent calculus so that he could formulate his famous theories on physics. If physics is the study of the laws of nature which control the Universe, maths is the language used to describe these laws, so you can understand why its so important.

If you can get a B in maths GCSE there's no reason that with a bit of hard work you couldn't take maths A-level IMO.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Actually, with the currrent GCSE, you really need a grade A in GCSE maths to have a good basis for A level maths.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I did Physics, Chemistry and Biology A levels (over 25 years ago!) and got a C in physics. I needed to resit them to get better grades and I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry the second time. I did find physics easier with the maths and I did improve my grade. I don't know how exams that long ago compare to now though...