Panic has set in for A Level Maths.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Catseye

Re: Panic has set in for A Level Maths.

Post by Catseye »

I have given him a clear plan to ignore end of paper checks(for now) but concentrate on checking as he goes through the question-section by section- and # any questions he not sure about and time permitting to check these questions only.

I have full confidence he can ace this :|
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Update- Good news-now easily on target for an A*

Bad news, had a long chat with Admin Tutor for Imperial College given he comes from a selective school he will require a min of merit at STEP 1 :shock: as well as A*AAA min-most likely offer(50% have at least A*A*A A ,I think he should be able to get this but the STEP may be a step too far for him!)
kara123

Post by kara123 »

Bad news, had a long chat with Admin Tutor for Imperial College given he comes from a selective school he will require a min of merit at STEP 1 :shock: as well as A*AAA min-most likely offer(50% have at least A*A*A A ,I think he should be able to get this but the STEP may be a step too far for him!)
Blimey this is interesting. Can they really place extra demands on kids just because they went to a selective school?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why would you want Imperial anyway?! Students don't speak highly of it.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

kara123 wrote:
Blimey this is interesting. Can they really place extra demands on kids just because they went to a selective school?
STANDARD UK QUALIFICATIONS
A-levels
Our standard minimum A-level offer is A* AA - A*AAA with an A* in Maths.

For further recommendations on A-levels, see the tab on Qualification Advice for Computing. We strongly encourage applicants to take Further Maths at A2 or AS level.

AEA/STEP QUALIFICATIONS
All applicants (particularly those not taking an A-level in Further Maths) are encouraged, and may be asked, to take an AEA or STEP exam in Maths. These can often be sat at your local examination centre. Please note that regardless of whether an applicant is planning to take an AEA and/or STEP exam in maths or not, one or more may form part of a conditional offer that we make to an applicant.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/computing/pro ... computing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you come from a selective school they will expect the candidate to do STEP,she never mentioned anything about AEA.
His school is not even that selective, takes in about the top 1/3 of the national cohort so similar to most state Grammars although in 2015 almost 4/5 got A*/A at A level.

Imperial College do not do contextual offers like Bristol(which give lower offers to poor performing schools) but at Imperial the bar is set higher for high performing schools for Computer Science and I would suspect for other courses as well.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kara123 wrote:
I suppose it's a sort of 'reverse contextual offer', compared to the way that most other universities work it'?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
NearlyThere!

Post by NearlyThere! »

Guest55 wrote:Why would you want Imperial anyway?! Students don't speak highly of it.
What an opinionated comment to make! Do you have personal experience of Imperial or are you just going on what you have heard?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Edexcel was accused of 'setting the wrong paper'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... -after-be/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did you know there is an unofficial mark scheme already in the public domain for this exam(C1) on TSR-G55 is that legal and if so why is it not a breach of copyright?

My DS found paper reasonable( did loads of International GCE papers which do demand a good grasp of basic maths)-keep up with your time tables and the 4 operations-it ain't hard :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

TSR seem to allow it and I've never understood why.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I've had an answer from DS, since it is a non-profit organisation it is allowed to publish this and it is clearly stated as "unofficial" :o (it must be teacher who is spilling the beans and taking mobile photoshops of the paper)

He surprised me,smarter than the average bear?

Maybe he should forget CS and try Law instead ,LANT exams are infinitely easier than STEP.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now