Results coming soon

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: Results coming soon

Post by KB »

Reports are that there are some strong clearing places available so if anyone has just missed a high offer it sounds like it's still worth having a look, pronto.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, any advice?

AS results - dd had decided if she got below the grades she wanted to stay at school, she'd leave for college.

She got one grade below but still has passed.

She is now agonizing over college or school. A diploma may be easier; or should she stay, finish her A levels and gamble on better results? And then spend a gap year working in any health sector to get to university (if that counts)?

A teacher said "generally" students to up a level at A2?

Stress!

Congratulations to all those who did well!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which AS levels - are they linear or modular subjects?

If modular, then how close to the grade boundary was she? UMS are actually more important than the grade.
KB

Post by KB »

How much did she miss the grade by?
Where the other subjects safely as she wanted?

Who set the bar- is it her or are these the grades she'd need in the subjects at A2 to get a nursing place?

Were the grades as predicted? Does she know why she just missed out? ie has a specific plan for how to improve next year?

Would a diploma get her entry to the degree nursing course as easily as A levels?

Not up to date with entry requirements for nursing but imagine they want evidence of understanding of and commitment to the profession through appropriate experience eg working with elderly, young, disabled etc and if so this would need to be carried out before application stage?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ginx, I hope she gets sorted.

Does anyone know about the grades for the new science ASs? DS did two of them, and just got a grade plus the number of UCAS points. No breakdown of the two papers or any indication of how he did within the grade. I know it doesn't count towards the A2, but it would still be good to know.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

scary - school should have a breakdown of the marks.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Ginx-

My niece has just finished a nursing degree. She did A levels. When she applied she had gained AABB in her AS levels, but she was rejected from every university (Nottm, York, Hertfordshire, Anglia Ruskin etc.).

She was eventually offered a place in the July before A level results when one of the unis offered more places.

She got A*BBB in her A levels. When she started her course she was the youngest and the only one straight from school. Most of the people on her course had been care assistants or had done health and social care college courses. They had lots of health care experience and were so knowledgeable (they knew their stents from their stoma bags!)on the wards compared to her. DN suddenly saw why she was not offered a place in the first round.

So fab A levels is not always what universities are looking for when choosing nursing students.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:scary - school should have a breakdown of the marks.
Apparently there were notices up saying they wouldn't get a breakdown which I find weird. I'll contact the school - it's not urgent but it woukd be good to know. Thanks G55.
scary mum
KB

Post by KB »

Maybe wait until the post A2 rush is over to have more chance of a helpful response.
Or could try teachers in September?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

KB wrote:Maybe wait until the post A2 rush is over to have more chance of a helpful response.
Or could try teachers in September?
Oh yes, like I said, it's not urgent!
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now