Remarks 2016 for information

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

emsy

Re: Remarks 2016 for information

Post by emsy »

Just got my daughter's AQA A2 History back - she needed 2 UMS for an A overall and it went up by 5. We also got my son's AQA GCSE English Language remarked - he needed 3 UMS for a B and it went up by 21. Both very happy.
KB

Post by KB »

Great news!
Statistically very unlikely given the number of changes reported by the exam boards so you must be delighted.
I have to say even if such instances are rare it is quite concerning and I do worry how many candidates are not asking for remarks and missing out.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Isn't it time all papers were double marked?

Photocopies of scripts should be also be returned - marks are printed on them during the online marking process.

It would mean more markers but surely it's fairer so everyone gets the right mark first time?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:Isn't it time all papers were double marked?

Photocopies of scripts should be also be returned - marks are printed on them during the online marking process.

It would mean more markers but surely it's fairer so everyone gets the right mark first time?
Hear hear, couldn't agree more.
mad?
emsy

Post by emsy »

It does make me wonder if any of their grades are actually right - we has an AS paper remarked last year and that went up a grade too, so that is 3 out of 3 for us. All the papers we have had remarked were well below what the child concerned was achieving in school and in mock exams so we thought there was a reasonable chance that there had been a mistake in marking, although they could just have misunderstood a question.
KB

Post by KB »

With the changes in the exam system - both with so much more riding on A2 results and the smaller ranges for each GCSE grade - meaning that accurate marking is even more important surely there must be a focus on getting it right.

As G55 says, either all the papers should be double marked or returned to the school so teaching staff can check them.

The first option is fairer as the latter still depends on teaching staff being on the ball but hopefully if senior staff are sufficiently concerned about league tables they will make sure checks are done properly.

It concerns me that there are two categories of children who may be missing out. Those who are very bright in non- academic schools where expectations are low so a B grade say wouldn't be challenged because it's considered good. Also, the students for whom a C grade in core subjects is critical but if they weren't expected to make it then no one would think to have the paper checked.

I know there are really good staff in 'difficult' schools but there are also situations where due to parents not being informed or having money to pay for remarks the children are further disadvantaged.

Rant over!
emsy

Post by emsy »

I agree with Guest55 about double marking and returning scripts. These marks affect children's future plans - some will have lost 6th form, apprenticeship or university places because of marking mistakes. We nearly didn't go for the remarks because the new rules made changes seem very unlikely, but I looked at a forum for students and people's marks were changing so we went ahead. My daughter had her university place despite missing the A but it is good for her confidence that she now meets the course requirements as the subject is relevant to her degree. My son is going to do science A-levels in 6th form but some universities want a B in English Language for the science-based course he wants so he is pleased that they are still an option now.
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

I agree Guest 55, it would give me far more faith in the system and be fairer all round.

My ds's aqa Geography A2 went up 13 ums to his predicted b grade. He can be a bit inconsistent and his subject teacher was very non commital, but he was so upset and adamant that he had done better we went straight for a remark. He is studying geography at uni, so although he had got his place, this was very important to him. Still waiting for the remarked paper to see what went wrong.

We also got his English AS retake papers back and his extremely helpful teacher advised us that in his and his colleagues opinion it had been harshly marked and could go up by 4/5 marks. However he would have needed a couple more marks for his overall grade to go up involving a remark of his A2 paper. A couple of students had had these remarked already unfortunately losing marks which led his teacher to the opinion that the A2 papers had probably been generously marked so to leave things as they were. All very hit and miss and his teacher is a marker himself!

Same school and 2 very different levels of support. At GCSE the concern would have been around the D/C grades and doesn't seek to promote its A level results and with most students not applying for the more competitive unis they tend to get in so don't pursue remarks.

I have twin ds's and they had 4 remarks between them at GCSE all went up a grade. Also had an IB remark for my other ds in June which also went up. Very different school, would always advise to go for remarks where feasible, % of top marks are extremely important and they want as few lower grades as possible.

I still have another DS to go through this and as a parent I will always pay for remarks where justified. I just wish I could have more confidence in the system so this wouldn't be necessary, and would love to see a fairer system for all students as suggested irrespective of which school they attend.
marigold

Post by marigold »

My niece's AQA A2 geography has just gone up by 16 UMS, shocking. She was planning a gap year and as she had not quite met her uni offer was planning to cut it short , re- apply and re do. Now she does not need to as she has the grades for her first choice.
They weren't planning on a remark but as one of her friends had been successful they thought they would give it a go and thank goodness they did as she can now go off to her job in Australia and have fun.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now