Remarks 2016 for information

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

supermummy

Re: Remarks 2016 for information

Post by supermummy »

Ally wrote:One more mark and he would move up an overall grade. Yes it's only AS's and he could resit the paper next summer to improve his chance of gain a better overall A2 grade. There's a 30 mark difference between his C1 and C2 marks!

He seems really good at getting an overall mark one below the grade boundary. He did that with a couple of subjects last year, but we didn't look into a remark as they weren't his A level subjects.

I don't think it'll alter his predicted grade, But would it look better on his Uni applications?
Hi Ally Guest55 will know much better than me however there is no need to declare UMS unless you are applying for Cambridge and even then this system should be ending as they introduce entrance exams more widely.

Incidentally my DD requested a copy of her C4 paper as she got lower than expected UMS (80). It appears it was marked quite harshly (but fairly) leading to a couple of lost marks across the paper but it was the loss of marks in a vectors question that really let her down.

Although she won't go for a remark it was helpful and will inform her preparation ahead of a resit next year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It might be worth asking for a photocopy of the C2 paper then it can be checked before a re-mark s requested. If it has been marked accurately then it's good to see where marks were lost.

Maths is usually marked pretty accurately but a few years back my son's C3 was undermarked by 4 raw marks.
KB

Post by KB »

I think it is because only grades and not UMS are declared on UCAS that it's annoying that the UMS is so close to the grade boundary - it won't be apparent on the application form that he is virtually in the next grade up.

It is possible for the reference to draw attention to this btw- & DS should make sure it is - but it's not quite the same as it being in the headline information.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Having had no success with remarks in the past - three papers not changed and one down three marks, we have finally received a successful result: 1 UMS required to raise A2 Chemistry grade, 1 paper remarked and 1 UMS found :D
KB

Post by KB »

Brilliant!
Was it needed for Uni entrance?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

No, not needed, but very pleased.
KB

Post by KB »

At least you were spared that stress. Excellent news though.
Ally

Post by Ally »

I'll have another email conversation with a couple of people at school. I've only had a brief look at his answer paper but it appears that he had a bit of a blip towards the end of the paper. We might risk it as hopefully we can find one UMS. I think the teacher might be sitting on the fence as there's no guarantees
KB

Post by KB »

A decent maths teacher should be able to make a pretty good stab at it though. It's not like say English or History where there is much more room for individual judgements.

A teacher should be able to check if the paper has been marked leniently or indeed any errors made and if not the chances of loosing more than a couple of marks is pretty much non existent.

Equally they should be able to spot any potential for the extra UMS. No guarantees but they should know if there is anywhere that a different interpretation of the mark scheme would have been beneficial.

It's quite possible that staff are busy with year 13 students atm so as long as you have a note of the deadline for applying it might be worth hanging on a bit to get more help from school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's easy for a teacher to check a photocopy as each mark and whether it was allocated or not is recorded on the copy. I just go through the mark scheme and check against allocated marks - very straightforward in maths
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now