Parents of students starting Y12 in Sept 2016

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3b1g

Re: Parents of students starting Y12 in Sept 2016

Post by 3b1g »

DS1 had his first Maths lesson today. 90% of the class took GCSE Maths in Y10, got A* and then did the Level 2 Further Maths course in Y11.
DS1 is in the other 10%. Not the most promising start...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It shouldn't make any difference - the Further Maths level 2 contains several topics which aren't in A level.

Nothing beyond GCSE should be assumed ..
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Guest55 wrote:It shouldn't make any difference - the Further Maths level 2 contains several topics which aren't in A level.

Nothing beyond GCSE should be assumed ..
Thank you for that reassurance. The first topic was surds, which all the other students were familiar with, but DS1 had not learned at GCSE. He was able to work out some of it in the lesson for himself and is consolidating this evening.
tense

Post by tense »

My DC's school also re-tests before allowing students to take up maths. They sit a test on the day before sixth form formally begins & have to reach certain thresholds before being allowed to take maths / FM.

3b1g - if your son is already happy to 'consolidate' off his own back I don't think you need to worry too much!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

3b1g wrote:
Thank you for that reassurance. The first topic was surds, which all the other students were familiar with, but DS1 had not learned at GCSE. He was able to work out some of it in the lesson for himself and is consolidating this evening.
Surds are part of GCSE Maths - I'm surprised he hasn't covered them before.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Guest55 wrote:
3b1g wrote:
Surds are part of GCSE Maths - I'm surprised he hasn't covered them before.
He was ill from the end of Y8 to the middle of Y11. He did his best to catch up on as much of the material as possible, but was not able to cover 100% of it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He has done really well then :D

I will PM you.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

After a very gentle start, dd1 is already exhausted! Hope it's just new school fatigue, but I fear it is the shape of things to come.

She had a chance to meet up with her bestie yesterday and they had a good time comparing notes- she is still happy she moved - she commented on the inspiring head's talk at the assembly that made her really looking forward and want to get stuck into her lessons, which is a first from her, those seemed to sink without trace for the first 12 years of full-time education!

Apparently a teacher was overheard muttering at a new poster aimed at teachers, saying no coffee allowed in classrooms, "there is no God." Guess what topic-RE!
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

DS1's verdict after week 1: sixth form is a lot of work, but better than KS3 & KS4. He has been motivated to do lots of independent study this week, but that might just be the novelty of starting new courses in subjects that he has actively chosen.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We had a similar fairly happy verdict for the first week or two, but have already hit a wall with overstretched time and energy resources!

Going from a school where teachers had to belabour each assignment in hopes that some students would register and do it, under constant threat of detention, to one where they just mention jobs they want done seemingly in passing, some of which she sometimes misses writing down, is making it hard for dd to catch it all. I hope it will improve her concentration in class at least! She needs to rebuild her friends network too, she seems to have made lovely friends already but strangely none doing the same subjects - very handy for checking what they were meant to do!

Getting sufficient sleep is an issue, too. Our wifi is on a timer and goes off at a set time each night so it's not that, she is doing homework or worrying about it when she should be unwinding for bed.

My next job is to manage expectations of leisure time I guess!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now