6th form dilemma

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: 6th form dilemma

Post by Guest55 »

shootmenow wrote:Human Sciences, Archeology, Anthropology, Liberal Arts, English, Biology, Genetics......
I did not suggest there were NO degrees for that combination but is vasu's son interested in them?

I agree with what KCG is saying ...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

vasu, Guest55 is completely right - he needs to start at the other end ie jobs - university degree - A level choices (a top down approach) rather than a bottom up approach which - although important to study things that you like/are good at - needs to be realistic with what it can achieve.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

+1 start with the end in mind, I.e. What careerS, then what subjects, then what A level.

DH and I are in biological research and funding policy, and don't recommend school Psychology (sorry) for those serious about a career in STEM areas or medicine areas- there will be jobs there, so should be seriously considered. It's ok as an addition for broadening in other careers I would think.

Better to do Chemistry, Maths or Physics with Biology. Get the foundation blocks and you are able go in more directions later. Their feelings change so rapidly at this age, and they haven't really experienced IMHO the subjects based on the GCSE- this is a whole new ball game.

If dd had only GCSE biology to go on, she would have quit long ago. But seeing our jobs and daily work, she knows Biology (just not GCSE approach to it) is still her lifelong passion.

If you are really keen on Psychology better to go for it at Uni.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

We also liked St Michaels and I gathered that boys would not be at a disadvantage- they disregard gender (and religion too I think) for the 6th form intake I believe- plenty of boys there when we went to the open day.

I bet he ends up there! Just a feeling. Good luck to him.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Biology,chemistry and English would get you into Med School.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Catseye wrote:Biology,chemistry and English would get you into Med School.
Unis would prefer those with Maths. As some one posted before, Maths would be most useful if other options are Biology & Chemistry.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

And most biological sciences type courses require 2 sciences, not 3. However I agree that chemistry is not for the faint hearted. Can't remember if geography has been mentioned but that is also considered to be a science for entry to many (not all) biological science courses.
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Catseye, tiffinboys and scary mum...of course this is right however:

vasu says upthread...."Neither is he interested in Medical or Bioscience."!!!!!!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

You are right. But if he changes his mind, Vasu now knows it all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now