6th form dilemma

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Re: 6th form dilemma

Post by KS10 »

vasu wrote:
KS10 wrote:St Dominic's Sixth Form College, Harrow-on-the-Hill. Open Day today till 3.

From their website:

A level Psychology – (EDEXCEL linear)

Unit 1: Foundations of Psychology (Social, Cognitive, Biological and Learning)
Unit 2: Applications of Psychology (Clinical and Criminal)
Unit 3: Psychological Skills (Synoptic, Research Methods, Issues and Debates)
Unit 1 content constitutes the standalone AS qualification assessed in two examination papers.
Units 1-3, assessed at the end of the second year make up the full A-Level Qualification.
We did go to open day today but my son is not impressed with their English or Biology departments. This year, no student got A* in biology so my DS was quite underwhelmed. So St DOMS is off our list sadly.
May I ask where the no A* for biology information came from? I know this to be inaccurate, although I don't know anything about the English Dept.
vasu

Post by vasu »

KS10 wrote:
vasu wrote:
KS10 wrote:St Dominic's Sixth Form College, Harrow-on-the-Hill. Open Day today till 3.

From their website:

A level Psychology – (EDEXCEL linear)

Unit 1: Foundations of Psychology (Social, Cognitive, Biological and Learning)
Unit 2: Applications of Psychology (Clinical and Criminal)
Unit 3: Psychological Skills (Synoptic, Research Methods, Issues and Debates)
Unit 1 content constitutes the standalone AS qualification assessed in two examination papers.
Units 1-3, assessed at the end of the second year make up the full A-Level Qualification.
We did go to open day today but my son is not impressed with their English or Biology departments. This year, no student got A* in biology so my DS was quite underwhelmed. So St DOMS is off our list sadly.
May I ask where the no A* for biology information came from? I know this to be inaccurate, although I don't know anything about the English Dept.
That is what was told by the department when ds and dh visited it. I was quite skeptical too. St Doms is such an outstanding school. I too find it hard to believe. I f this is not accurate why did St Doms said otherwise. :(
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I would email or call them if that's the only reason as you need to know for yourself and not take my word for it. I have sent you a pm.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is this the right place
http://www.stdoms.ac.uk/page/?title=Exa ... ary&pid=22?

There were 12 A* in Biology A2 and 68 As at AS, according to the published summary.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
vasu

Post by vasu »

Thank God that is cleared. St DOMS is a great school. Hopefully my son gives it a second chance.
vasu

Post by vasu »

My son has decided not to take Psychology after all.(Thank God!). Thanks to you lovely people that he is considering taking Chemistry. He does not have to change his School for 6th form too other than the reason of studying in a mixed gender school.
baggies4ever

Post by baggies4ever »

Great to hear you're making progress Vasu ! We were at an Open Evening for DD2 yesterday & it was clear that there are plenty of students still unclear on final choices. For some it's clear cut, but for many it's an iterative process. Continued good luck! :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

English, Biology, Chemistry ... what is he thinking of doing at uni with that combination vasu?

I would suggest he thinks about the next stage now.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Human Sciences, Archeology, Anthropology, Liberal Arts, English, Biology, Genetics......
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

He could, of course, look at more Arts based careers if he took English, History and Biology, for example....Biology would then be seen as a good third A level for that genre of degree...I am just worried that he seems anti Medical/Science type careers and yet you are persuading him to do Chemistry alongside Biology. Chemistry is a tough A level - much harder than GCSE - he has to really want to do it...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now