History of Art / Statistics

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

History of Art / Statistics

Post by tiffinboys »

Pearson will now offer AS and A level exams in History of Art and also Statistics, both dropped by AQA.
Guest55

Re: History of Art / Statistics

Post by Guest55 »

I had an e-mail from Edexcel about A level stats this morning; this is for first teaching from September 2017 subject to accreditation by Ofqual.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

For those thinking of applying for medicine, would A Level Statistics be more useful than Math?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Possibly, although all students will have to study statistics [and mechanics] under the new A level Maths specification. You need to check which subjects the course accepts.
justkeepmoving

Post by justkeepmoving »

My understanding is that A level Statistics is not regarded as highly as A level Maths. At DD's 6th form you needed min of A in GCSE to do Maths, if not you could do Statistics. I do not think it is classed as a facilitating subject. I am not saying statistics is easier, some people just get it and can get a high grade. But to get a high grade in Maths you need to get all the parts such as Core and Mechanics as well as Statistics.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Currently you do not need to study mechanics at all for A level maths.

You can do C1 to C4 plus two stats modules or two decision maths modules or one of each; all of these omit the study of mechanics.

We do not know what the status of this new Statistics specification will be.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Thank you all. I was thinking that full Stats A level might be more useful for epidemiology.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tiffinboys wrote:Thank you all. I was thinking that full Stats A level might be more useful for epidemiology.
An MSc in Medical Statistics from somewhere like the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine might be more desirable, but given that Maths A Level isn't an absolute requirement for Medicine, it would probably be quite useful as a third or fourth subject.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

tiffinboys wrote:Thank you all. I was thinking that full Stats A level might be more useful for epidemiology.
Epidemiology- is very a short module at Med School-the only thing I remember was in terms of maths was about the null hypothesis, most of it was case studies and definition learning the difference between prevalence and incidence, specificity and sensitivity..... that kind of thing-min maths.

i would choose straight maths over a applied type of maths for medicine, I will check with the OH if you like.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

MSc would be post Medicine degree. I was looking at Stats for entry to and while studying for medicine degree.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now