Pre-U

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
monstermunch

Pre-U

Post by monstermunch »

Are there any state school teachers on this forum who know if the Cambridge Pre-U will be getting introduced into grammar schools or new acadamies, an if so, when? My decision on grammar or independent school was more undecided until they introduced this. Also, will grammar schools have to do the new vocational diploma? I apologise if this hasn't been posted on the right page :?
another mother

Post by another mother »

I'm interested in this too. I also wonder if this forum has a sixth form entry thread or is that another forum?!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

All looks very new. :) I had not heard of it.

Pre-U Examinations
The Cambridge Exam board is refining Pre-Us, its alternative qualification for pupils aiming for top universities. This website is devoted to offer an independent review of the pros and cons of this radical upswing to the post age 16 examinations system

Although the decision and launch dates have been penciled in Pre-Us are still in their beta stage. All schools and colleges are welcome to express their views and concerns. more

From 2008 the Pre-U exam will involve studying three subjects over two a two year period, with final exams and an extended essay.

Dissimilar to AS or A-levels, would not be modular and split into two parts, nor require everyone to do certain subjects like the International Baccalaureate.

http://www.pre-u.co.uk/
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

another mother wrote:I also wonder if this forum has a sixth form entry thread or is that another forum?!
Hi anothermother (and Monstermunch - nice user name!)

Welcome to the Forum, both of you.

We don't have a 6th form specific section, but all school/university issues that go beyond the 11 plus can be posted on this section.

Don't worry too much about right and wrong sections - the Mods will always pick you up and put you down gently in the right place! :D

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Diplomas will be an entitlement for all pupils - including those in GS - there are some interesting negotiations going on betwen schools to offer these in future.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Yes, I too was wondering how GSs were going to deal with the new Diplomas! A school that has a highly academic focus and with most of its students going on to higher education would probably have a different approach to the new qualification than a school that needs to cater to a wide range of abilities and career objectives. However, I'm all for practical and vocational skills being incorporated into the curriculum since - provided they aren't foisted onto the pupils - such things can be useful in unexpected ways and give GS pupils opportunities they might not otherwise have had. My typing and office skills courses paid off in shedloads when it came to getting summer jobs while at university, and later when computers started to replace the typing pool and everyone had to do their own typing. And I know of one very bright girl who is predicted straight A*s at GCSE...guess what, she wants to be a beautician! And why not...I expect in ten years time she'll be the proud owner of a multinational chain while many of her friends are struggling to pay off their student debts! :wink:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Here is the web site from University of Cambridge International Examinations

http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/ac ... ersec/preu

It contains downloadable documentation including for each subject, the syllabus, specimen papers and mark schemes; as well as FAQ, a video, newsletter and RSS feeds.
There are guides for schools, parents and University admission tutors. The parents guide is a handy 8 page overview.

HTH

Susan
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now