De Montfort Uni

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I think any parent would be delighted to have such a mature and committed DD as you seem to have, ATM - our lives would definitely be a lot less stressful if we did! Don't feel if she gets 3 As at A2 that she could have gone to a better uni - the former polytechnics are exactly the right places to do the kind of vocational course she wants to do, and DMU is particularly highly regarded amongst them. You are right to encourage her to make her own very sensible choices, and she will I am sure have a very successful start to a very worthwhile career. Good luck with the DSs - if mine are anything to go by you will need it. :oops:
sj355

Post by sj355 »

All Too Much wrote:Thank you both for your responses. Yes, it is for this year.

She wants to study Speech and Language Therapy (not exactly rocket science I know, but she still needs 3 Bs this year). Neurology is a major part of the first 2 years, so biology is needed. We looked at other unis but this one seemed to offer a tight ship where the course was concerned, including the hospital/clinical placements. They also have a clever trick of completing in 3.5 years as opposed to 4 years like other unis and therefore come out in March and have first pick of the jobs (in the past anyway!).
Have you tried City University? The department has a very good reputation although my bet is that they will ask for far more than BBB. In any case keep it in mind for clearing
sj355
All Too Much

Post by All Too Much »

Hi SJ, yes she got an unconditional offer from City following her interview but did not like the Uni. Was not overly pleased with it myself and they certainly were very skimpy on the open day with regards to showing us around. Not great reports either on the Student Room website re her particular course from there, so she declined, for better or worse.

Ah, the clearing system, something to look forward to in late August, during the rain; oops, sorry - between BBQs !!

ATM
All Too Much
sj355

Post by sj355 »

All Too Much wrote:Hi SJ, yes she got an unconditional offer from City following her interview but did not like the Uni. Was not overly pleased with it myself and they certainly were very skimpy on the open day with regards to showing us around. Not great reports either on the Student Room website re her particular course from there, so she declined, for better or worse.

Ah, the clearing system, something to look forward to in late August, during the rain; oops, sorry - between BBQs !!

ATM
It sounds like your daughter is a young woman that has decided what she is going to do and where she is going to study after having ruled out other potential places. It sounds as a well informed decision; all the best for her
and fingers crossed for the BBQs!
sj355
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now