Ivy League in the UK?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sj355

Post by sj355 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:What uni in the UK is independent SJ?
Buckingham University. Go for it!
sj355
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

I would have been perfectly happy to pay overseas fees for my son to attend Oxford or Cambridge. I have no idea whether it is easier for overseas students to get places - the universities seem to deny that it is, but there is a lot of doubt in my mind about whether that is true. I wonder why Oxbridge haven't thought of this, or if they have but it is illegal. If so, that is absolute madness, and of course we should be teaching our home students rather than those from a foreign superpower.

I should add that said DS had no interest in going to either Oxford or Cambridge, but I think that was because of the complexities of the application process and the thought of the interview rather than a considered disinclination to study at either place. What's to dislike after all? We have also been in the hilarious situation of receiving phone calls from current students at my OH's alma mater, a Cambridge college, asking him to fork out to provide bursaries for "poor" students at one of the richest universities in the country, while we are struggling to support another DS at his rather less prestigious seat of learning. Needless to say he declined in no uncertain terms. :evil:
KB

Post by KB »

Even if OS students are competing for different places to Home students at Oxbridge does that necessarily make the selection less competitive? Surely it depends on the ratio of applicants to places and the standard of applicants.
Be very interested to know if there are any facts about this - maybe DD needs to live OS for a year while she applies :)
mathsteacher

Post by mathsteacher »

sj355 wrote: All of their students are of Asian origins because the majority of the students that manage to satisfy the conditional offers are Asian.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/un ... nment.html

I am interested in how the home students do not satisfy the conditional offers from a high ranking university. From reading the telegraph article posted by TIPSY it would imply that all students are overqualified. This certainly seems to be the case with Cambridge, who regularly reject students with 3As and use their own selection procedure for their quantitative courses.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I can not speak for Cambridge or Oxford but where I work the conditional offers are the same (equivalent) for everyone. In my department we have not been in the need to enter clearing for ages, but we always consider late overseas students (but a handful only and with the required grades), so there may be an 11th hour advantage. However note that the overseas definition for a University is outside the EU, the rest are all part of the same quota for home
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I am interested in how the home students do not satisfy the conditional offers from a high ranking university. From reading the telegraph article posted by TIPSY it would imply that all students are overqualified. This certainly seems to be the case with Cambridge, who regularly reject students with 3As and use their own selection procedure for their quantitative courses.
[/quote]

If you satisfy a conditional offer that has been mafe to you by a University then you automatically are entitled to a place. That is the whole idea behind UCAS. However if the University feels that in the light of what you have included in your UCAS form it is unlikely that you will satisfy their requirements in a conditional offer, then you are outright rejected (not made an offer). If you are made a conditional offer and you do not satisfy it then you are automatically rejected. The same applies for all students. In the case of Cambridge things are a bit more opaque because there is also an interview stage, plus STEP test requirements for maths students.

When it is said that Imperial and other Univerities go for recruiting students overseas to not delude yourselvers that these students are inferior ones; they are first class. To claridfy however, many of these overseas students are postgraduate, where in any case there is no great demand from the "home" market and even if there was there are no quotas.
sj355
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Surely it is Buckingham?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I agree with TIPSY and made a similar ooint some time ago when I pointed out that all the Ivy League Universities are private yet receive government money in billions to fund their research. It should happen here but the only thing which attracts that kind of money is football!
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Perhaps we should have VASTLY fewer universities and fund them properly?
There is something that does not add up when the Government wants 50% of school leavers to go to uni but then admits that barely 50% of 16 year olds can achieve the (low) total of 5 GCSEs including english and maths.
Clearly there are a large number of uni students who are very dim which surely cannot be a good thing!?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy