Mollycoddled children = inadequate adults

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Oh dear, we are bringing up a generation of adults unable to cope with the trials of life. Quite damning on our parenting. :?
I thought that was a Uni decision on who gets to know first something? What does it have to do with parenting or parents?
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Marks on the very frequent tests at my son's school are read all out in the class (usually, but not always) before they are handed back to the boys. I fail to see how this makes them better or worse people, or how it improves my parenting :? :?:

Awards are given out in the hall each term so the success of boys can be celebrated in front of their peers in the hall with names read aloud (and it is a suprise as no one knows whether they get anything). Parents are not normally invited, which is just as well because I am going to smile like a damn fool if my little chicken gets anything.
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It was the students who campaigned for this to happen as they were finding it too stressful! If they call that stress then they obviously hadn't been brought up to cope with such minor situations - and who brought them up? :roll:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I agree that the ‘too stressful’ comment might appear a little wimpy, but much more important is the issue of confidentiality.

Exactly what gives a university the right to publish everyone’s results like this? It surely falls foul of some law or other regarding data protection? Surely every student has the basic right to learn of their exam result first, before anyone else.

Sorry Tipsy, can’t see how a person’s desire to be the first to discover the results of their own hard work is a reflection of other people’s parenting skills.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I don't really have a side in this having experienced all the different methods of receiving results in school, at university, and during professional training.

However, just to point out it is not only those who have not done as well as they might have hoped who can be stressed by the "public first" approach, but also some top performers find it stressful too. Being the best academically can be viewed badly by lots of different people in lots of different ways.