What on earth to do

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
solimum

Post by solimum »

I think that she is just a little afraid of the future, it's quite a scary thought all this moving away from home etc.
A lot of her friends will be feeling like this too but perhaps better at appearing confident and keen! Year 12 is a tricky time - it seems like they've only just got started and they have to start planning how to leave....

Could she go to stay with her older brother or a friend's older sibling to get a taste of student life? Does the school arrange any university visits? There are lots of open days in June/July which it is worth checking out to spread the Sept/Oct rush

Perhaps a planned working gap year (such as the the Year in Industry scheme http://www.yini.org.uk/ ) would help give her some confidence, as well as money (!) - my eldest (who was an August birthday) really benefited from this, and was much more mature and financially sensible by the time he went to uni

As well as pharmacy there are other health-related degree courses (some with funding available from the NHS?) which might be interesting - dietician, physiotherapy, nursing...
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks Solimum - you have given us lots of information - the year in industry looks interesting, it might be that this will give her some confidence for the future and some money too :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately her older brother will only be starting himself in September (absolutely everything crossed), so he's not gone yet, in the meantime we'll have a look for some open days as well to give her a flavour of university life.

Thank you very much.
LFH
KB

Post by KB »

Hi
Seems like there's already been lots of good advice but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. My DD thought she knew what she wanted to do but coming to crunch time as she needs to start making decisions re Uni she is having a rethink.
Daughter of a friend of ours taking A2 this year has decided to work for a year because she isn't sure what she wants to do.
Please be reassured that those with a very clear plan are in the minority. This is only the start of the information gathering period (open days, prospectuses, UCAS info, quite a lot of guide books on Universities & courses ).

Def. worth using friends, friends of friends, relations who might have different career experiences. If DD shows interest in a particular field worth contacting someone local in that area to see if she can visit them for a chat - make sure she asks herself though!
Or does school have careers fair /talks where ex pupils come back to talk about their experiences?
If she can find a course/career that does interest her it has the advantage of motivating through the slog of A2s :)

If you have local Uni DD may be able to access their Careers library & maybe even chat to someone if they are quiet over summer vacation.

Hope it all goes well & good luck for the results in August!
Looking for help

Thanks for your advice KB - we will have a look at the local university careers advice too.
I also agree that having something to aim towards is very helpful in year 13, knowing that you have to try as hard as you can is a big motivator.
I think my daughter is actually just playing her cards very closely to her chest until we see the AS results 8) - in my experience with my older son, it is how well you have done there that actually influences the number of and quality of the offers that you get through the UCAS process.
Hopefully she will have done ok and maybe as things progress over the next few months we might be heading towards a decision or two :lol:

LFH
KB

Post by KB »

Absolutely agree - its very hard for them to make firm decisions before AS results come out.

We are trying to view the next few weeks as the time for gathering information rather than decision making - been under quite enough pressure over last few months without anymore right now :)

Trying to focus on the excitement of wonderful opportunities!
Looking for help

After her first day back to school after AS levels, my daughter as decided (herself :lol: ) to look into the year in industry programme.

She has made an appointment to see the careers advisor to discuss this and future entry to uni.

I have to say, I'm very impressed - far better for her to make her own mind up, even if it is to delay a little than for me to live vicariously through her, choosing courses I wish I had done :wink:

Thanks everyone

LFH