Percentage A*

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Dear Amber and Tipsy, If you wish to discuss the merits and demerits of Aberdeen, perhaps you could continue this discussion by PM as you are going off topic. :wink:

Ed's Mum
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry, but if it was going to happen it was going to be today. Lack of patience and all that! :oops:
zee

Re: Percentage A*

Post by zee »

jemima wrote:Has been rejected because of percentage A*s.
Basically if he'd only taken 8 he'd have 100% but with the additonal 5 A's he's been diluted.
Crazy, but I think it's increasingly common.

Talking to teachers at DC's grammar, there is a new trend of high flyers taking 10+ GCSEs wanting to give up one or two subjects towards the end of year 11 if they think there is a risk they will fall to "only" an A grade. In the past, it was only those who were struggling who would ask to give up subjects.

Anecdotal, but get enough anecdotes from enough sources...
KenR

Post by KenR »

Basically if he'd only taken 8 he'd have 100% but with the additonal 5 A's he's been diluted. His attitude is that he's still glad he took 13 as he enjoyed them and he feels he has a rounded education.
It does vary from University to University.

For Medicine, Birmingham require 8A*s for an interview and don't care what grades the rest are. Cardiff look at the top 9 GCSE's award points (3 for A*, 2 for A and 1 for B) - this year the magic number was 24 points and a good UKCAT score to get an interview.

Other Medical schools have different approaches.

Oxbridge however seem to reject on the basis of any flaw they find in your application. My DD had 11A*s and just got a straight rejection without interview from Cambridge.
solimum

Post by solimum »

KenR - I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's disappointing news - it's not always possible to see what went "wrong", it's just that medicine is so popular, and those applying usually so well qualified, that in some cases the admissions people may very well just pick them almost at random... Not everyone has a convenient brain surgeon in the familiy who can arrange fascinating work experience.... Where else has she applied? I'm sure there's a place with her name on it somewhere
jemima

Post by jemima »

THanks for all your anecdotal stuff - I am sure this is what is useful as admissions tutors give the 'party' line. DS was also told by Oxford that the A's didn't matter and that first 8 GCSE's were the important ones. However they also take into accout BMAT and although he did well enough in it '20' points it wasn't enough.
It is at actually'pharmacy' at Reading that he's been offered for.
Mt DD is predicted 13* (she already has some) she's only in year 10 but unless the A prediction for art changes to A* I will encourage her to complete the course but nor enter the exam.
My other DD has 5A* and 8A so we will be looking very carefully at admissions criteria this time round.
11 plus is just the start of it. On topof all this applying and researching and interviewing etc - they still need to pass the exams!
Good luck to all the others in year 13.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Maybe if admissions tutors were honest in publishing their real requirements, i.e. "we expect 3/4 A-levels at grade A, but if you've only got predicted grades at this stage then we expect 8+ GCSEs at grade A* " then at least everyone would know exactly where they stand and could take a year out if necessary so that their final A-level results can do the talking...
Marylou
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Solimum

Thanks for the kind words - don't think she's too disappointed, she had her doubts anyway about Cambridge for medicine as there's no clinical work till yr4.

She's got interviews at Leeds aand Cardiff.
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

I'm very sorry to hear about your DD's unsuccessful Cambridge bid, KenR.
KenR wrote: My DD had 11A*s and just got a straight rejection without interview from Cambridge.
This is absolutely brutal!

With a galaxy of *'s like your daughter's and not a sniff of an interview at Cambridge :shock: ; I'm seriously thinking about reviewing my DS's strategy.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My sister is doing medicine at newcastle and having a ball! By 'ball' I mean loving the course, not partying!