How tough is it out there?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

[quote="KenR
I wonder if we are starting to see Anti Independent factors starting to accelerate for the most popular courses (e.g. Medicine) at the top universities?
[/quote]

I don't think it's that at all. I could match your stories with children at state schools with the same high grades and predictions, some got interviews and others didn't.There was no ryhme or reason to it.It wasn't as if one went and did a year of voluntary work and another didn't.It just does seem like a lottery with the most oversubscribed universities.

P.S Nottingham is a wonderful university.I loved it :D
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

inkypinkyponky wrote:
hermanmunster wrote: Never really sure too if it is fair on the patients in a hospice / residents in a nursing home etc etc to be cared for by teenagers looking for work experience... don't they deserve trained (or at least mature) staff?
Our local Lions hospice (the Lions Charity people, not as in lions that go roar!) has recently advertised for teenage volunteers. I did think is was odd but reading the advert I was very moved because I hadn't realised how many teens actually have cancer or life-limiting illnesses and use the hospice.

The childrens' hospice a few miles away treats those age 0-15 but as soon as the child reaches 16 they have to be treated in an adults' hospice. To be on wards where the other patients are much older is apparently very difficult so teenage volunteers are asked to chat with these younger patients, play computer games or just walk gently in the gardens. Seems to make the stay in the hospice more bearable.

Made me really think.
Inky - that's where my son volunteers, on the ward, with the patients. No care involved, mainly just general chit chat while he finds out what they would like for dinner that night, going and prepping their dinner trays and bringing them out their meal. It's not a 'hands on' role at all, and one that he thoroughly enjoys. He is the hospice ambassador for his school - so also involved in fundraising for the hospice, and boy will he have a big smile on his face when he gets to hand over a cheque to them at the end of the school year. He has expressed interest in continuing his volunteer work with them when he is home from Uni breaks.
jemima

Lottery

Post by jemima »

My son has applied to medicine - 4000 applicants for 257 places at Leeds and similar for Southampton. Imperila will be worse I should think. It really does seem to be a lottery. He has an offer for Chemistry but really wants to do medicine. Worse of all they're trying to do their exams but constantly checking UCAS.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Family in the Valley - what a wonderful son you have!

It's a shame that Gravesend was recently in the National papers for yobos throwing snowballs with stones in, at buses, a hearse and cars. A news item about selfless young people like your son would redress that balance and make us proud of the young.

I always thought the Hospice was a death factory until my sister went into the Lions Hospice for the last time. Her last days were filled with dignity, compassion and above all, laughter, for which her family are very grateful for.

So please pass my thanks on to your son for being such a caring young man.

inkyx

p.s. Sorry, gone off-topic but had to say how much volunteers are appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: Lottery

Post by hermanmunster »

jemima wrote:My son has applied to medicine - 4000 applicants for 257 places at Leeds and similar for Southampton. Imperila will be worse I should think. It really does seem to be a lottery. He has an offer for Chemistry but really wants to do medicine. Worse of all they're trying to do their exams but constantly checking UCAS.
Hi Jemima - good luck to your son, it is really difficult when there is so much comptetition and so much distraction.

I am sure if he is good and scores are up to the mark then he will be OK. Not long ago I was at a medical postgrad training scheme selection day, there were about 40 of us ... have to say didn't think much to about half of them - then I discovered that over 350 applied and these were the best!
(but then I am apallingly fussy about these things :wink: :oops: :wink: )
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

when Miss Yoyo went for an interview at UCL there were 360 candidates for 60 places. At the welcome lecture they said they wouldn;t even be there unless they were exceptional (proud Mummy moment) so they should be proud they had even made it that far. No idea how many had originally applied.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
zee

Post by zee »

jemima wrote:My son has applied to medicine - 4000 applicants for 257 places at Leeds and similar for Southampton.
Although those figures are daunting, bear in mind that most applicants will be applying to half a dozen med schools and each can only take up one place, so it's not quite as bleak as it appears.

I wish him well.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

zee wrote:
jemima wrote:My son has applied to medicine - 4000 applicants for 257 places at Leeds and similar for Southampton.
Although those figures are daunting, bear in mind that most applicants will be applying to half a dozen med schools and each can only take up one place, so it's not quite as bleak as it appears.

I wish him well.
would that it was so... you can now only apply to 4.. unless you feel like applying abroad as well....
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Reading these posts - I'm sooooooo glad my son has chosen to go the BioMed Sciences route and THEN medical school!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now