No, I'm sorry Tree, I just couldn't resist. :oops:
Tree

Re: Oxbridge state schools no so bad

Post by Tree »

hey ourman its fine this thread could definatly do with some laughs
solimum

Post by solimum »

Also Homerton was until quite recently only for BEd undergraduates (in fact I was quite surprised to discover that it is now a full college) and must take a while to get as prestigious a range of academics in post for other subjects, which possibly affects its quality of applicants to choose from. Also there are some (Harris Manchester, Oxford) which only take mature undergraduates and some which have other "quirks" of admissions

Don't know much about Magdalen (Oxford) but in my day Magdalene (Cambridge) definitely had the reputation for being crammed with the rugby-playing, Boat Club "rich and thick" creme-de-la-creme studying Land Economy in order to go home and run Daddy's 10,000 acre estate....

No doubt unfair but with a grain of truth like all stereotypes!

Oxford colleges in particular are quite varied in size so the "league tables" will (as the wiki article demonstrates) fluctuate wildly from year to year especially for the smaller ones.

I think what I'm trying to say is that there should be no sense that getting into Balliol or Trinity is "better" than other colleges, or that the teaching will be any better - after all lectures are all centrally organised. Choice of college application may sometimes be because of a desire to sit at the feet of a particularly eminent academic in one field (unlikely though it is that he/she will do much undergraduate tutoring!) but is also likely to be by location, a previous success from the same school, a teacher/ parent went there, acommodation in all 3 years, sports teams, music, a friendly word at an open day etc etc or even sticking a pin in!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
SSM

Post by SSM »

Loopyloulou wrote:Are there really no state school pupils at Pembroke? How marvellous!
How wonderful to be able to go all the way through one's education without having to mix with paupers. :wink:
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Not sure where Tree got those statistics from. The University's own published statistics for 2009 show 50% of acceptances at Pembroke as being from state schools (which was slightly higher than the proportion of state school applicants). The corresponding figure for Brasenose is 46.1% and for St Peter's 57.3%...

And Oxford also offers classics courses for students coming in with only one of Latin and Greek. Indeed you can enter with neither and spend an extra preliminary year learning Latin. It must be said though that the success rate is higher for independent school applicants than for those from state schools.
Tree

Post by Tree »

it was www.chooseoxfordcollege.co.uk/ranking then according to percentage state school then gave you a list: i have no idea if it's right? kent99 if you have a different link let me have it and i'll re-correlate with norrington
solimum

Post by solimum »

There was an article in the Sunday Times last sunday about a similar website "My Oxbridge Choice" set up by John Green, a former senior tutor at Queens’ College, Cambridge. I'm not sure if the link will work here though as the Times/ Sunday Times has just changed to a subscriber-only website (good marketing ploy obviously here)

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 322381.ece

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... on/My_OBC/
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Try the following and then open the pdf on the page. http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergra ... index.html

If that doesn't work it is pretty easy to find the publication if you just search against "oxford admission statistics".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now