University fees

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Looking for help

Re: University fees

Post by Looking for help »

sherry_d wrote: Its not a right or an entitlement to go to University, its a choice and one thats should be rightly paid for if you want it. Loans are for those who cant afford and it would encourage only those who are serious about their studies not the ones who end up doing micky mouse degrees or droping off.
It should be the right or entitlement of the people who are clever enough to go, these measures only inhibit those who are clever enough, but will be put off by the cost. It's fine to say there are loans for those who can't afford it, but for goodness sake, as it is our kids are needing something in the region of £20 - £25k to get themselves through university, this will only increase the amount to £35 - £40k (at best). I do not want my children to have that kind of debt before they even start out in life, and despite the fact the our earnings in our household are reasonably high, we could never hope to help them through.

Why are the children and the poor being punished for the excesses of the bankers? We seem to live in a crazy world, imo
mad?

Post by mad? »

I have3 just heard someone (Sarah Teather?) on the radio justifying this on the basis that 'if you don;t work after you graduate then you won't have to pay'. No, we will, twice!
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is very easy to bang on about the unfairness of it all, and pillory 'the bankers' - who, while indeed acting irresponsibly in many cases, were only providing the loans which people demanded to fund their own spending. No-one was forced to spend money they didn't have! And bankers are not the only people to act badly or without consideration for their fellow man.

It is very much harder to come up with a viable alternative - you either tax the general population to the skies to fund the education of the relative few; or you expect the relative few who access the education to pay something towards it - still a minority of the actual costs, even under these radical proposals. I am sure that if anyone has a reasonable alternative, those in government (and Sherry_d is right, the Brown review itself and the idea of scrapping the cap both originated in the previous administration) would I am sure be delighted to hear about it - because no country in the developed world has managed to avoid one option or the other yet (high general taxation or charges for the students/graduates).

Talk of rights and entitlements is utopian - things cost money, and when there are costs, then someone has to pay. Fact.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Amber wrote: the education of the relative few; .
TBH if it was the relative few I woudn't mind wither way...because it would be an investment in the future success and prosperity of our community, rather than money down the toilet.
mad?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Looking for help wrote: It should be the right or entitlement of the people who are clever enough to go, these measures only inhibit those who are clever enough, but will be put off by the cost.
Surely the clever ones who will be put off by cost are probably not the right sort of people for our universities. Those who are work shy. Yes £30K debt is a lot but perhaps that will encourage those who are a bit more serious about their studies. For the determined fees wouldnt put them off and I know loads who have funded their education here without even the loans.

One of the biggest market for designerwear are students. Ugg is uniform, iphones, mac's, ipads you name it are the latest must haves and you tell me that students are skint. You only need to go to a University town on a Friday night and you'll see what I mean. I really have no sympathy for students and I just hope parents stop bailing them out and let them start learning about responsibilities at that age.
Impossible is Nothing.
medwaymix

Post by medwaymix »

Surely the clever ones who will be put off by cost are probably not the right sort of people for our universities. Those who are work shy. Yes £30K debt is a lot but perhaps that will encourage those who are a bit more serious about their studies. For the determined fees wouldnt put them off and I know loads who have funded their education here without even the loans.
£30K is an enormous amount of money to have to repay if you are an ordinary, middle of the road sort of family. I am not talking of bright kids from poor families, one hopes they will be protected, but once again it's those of us in the middle who will be clobbered.
We are returning to the world of universities for the rich only. What next, tuition fees for grammar schools?
mad?

Post by mad? »

medwaymix wrote: What next, tuition fees for grammar schools?
Now that would be an idea...as it is only the relative few who benefit. Where I live many of the grammar schools became private when the government dismantled the grammar system, so in effect this is already happening! :wink: :wink:
mad?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

sherry_d wrote:
Surely the clever ones who will be put off by cost are probably not the right sort of people for our universities. Those who are work shy.
I can't think what you can possibly mean by this :shock:

Of course people will be put off...if you're talking about £30k to £40k's worth of debt....and after all this nonsense about people borrowing too much money, but perhaps that is the point...let's keep the people exactly where they belong....absolutely no social mobility whatsoever.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

What we will inevitabley see is more kids going to their local university and living at home with parents during their degrees (which is what happens in many other countries) I see this as the only practical solution for many families, it is a shame as it eliminates the "choice" element for many, and more importantly the first step towards real independence that going away to Uni means to so many.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Looking for help wrote:Of course people will be put off...if you're talking about £30k to £40k's worth of debt....and after all this nonsense about people borrowing too much money, but perhaps that is the point...let's keep the people exactly where they belong....absolutely no social mobility whatsoever.
I think social mobility is the last thing this government would want.
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now