Medical School Costs

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Medical School Costs

Post by hermanmunster »

Marylou wrote:I came across this course http://www.medicine.unisr.it/view.asp?id=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; some time ago which I had heard recommended for someone else looking to follow a UK-approved course abroad. It's in Milan, held in English and might be worth a look. Fees are 18,000 euros per year payable in 3 installments over the year, don't know how that compares with other foreign institutions.
can think of worse places to train! - only thing I wonder is how they manage the clinical attachments? Do you have to learn Italian?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

i was wondering..

the course may be in English, but surely the patients would not all be fluent English speakers?

My friend , who was Sri Lankan and fluent in English , went completely to pieces in labour and I had to take over the phone call to the ambulance service

when we are frightened it is difficult to communicate , even in our mother tongue
mim

Post by mim »

Yes, we accept you'd have to learn the language to get the most from treating patients. It's no more than what we ask of our foreign students, is it?

That's a bonus, learning a language while immersed in another culture and surrounded by native speakers. It'll be nothing compared with them starting their adulthood far away from home, possibility of longer term situation, since a fair proportion of foreign students do not return after 6+ years, etc, etc.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Yoyo makes a very good point. It is one thing for the lectures to be in English but I should imagine trying to clerk a patient who only speaks Russian or Italian is nigh on impossible and I cannot believe Consultants are any more forgiving to callow medical students than they are in England.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but foundation year jobs are often closely linked to the medical schools one has attended so getting that first year done in England may be a problem if one has trained abroad. Although after 5 or 6 years in Eastern Europe a student may be fluent and perfectly able to cope with the horrors of casualty in a foreign tongue.

Marylou's DD will obviously not have that problem with Eastern European animals!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

marigold wrote: Marylou's DD will obviously not have that problem with Eastern European animals!
:lol:

...though I once lodged with an Austrian family, who insisted I also spoke to their cat in German...
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I have to say the Russian Universities we have looked at required an understanding of the Russian language,and the ability to write it, quite rightly so :D
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

:idea: I've just remembered that the foreign universities running vet courses allow and even expect you to do your work placements in your home country during the vacations. Not sure how this would work with Medicine, I expect there would have to be some arrangement with the NHS. :?
Marylou
ChessDadPlus

Post by ChessDadPlus »

nigs wrote:I remember reading recently that the cost of medical school could be in the region of £10,000 a year. Would you say this is an accurate estimate? Obviously with the new uni fees coming in, this could change.

Apart from accommodation costs and food (depending on which part of the country the student is in) what other costs are there to bear in mind?
Did we get a total cost from anyone?