Oxford Uni Changes Admission Policy- biased to State Schools

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Good question.The answer is yes you do because if I remember correctly in the UCAS form they ask details of your school(s) in the last 3 years! And yes we do look at that section! Also in the reference letter your current headteacher/teacher will mention where you came from.
Oh and by the way. A significant minority of my colleagues have put their kids in comprehensives and provide their kids with lots of tutors after school hours to complement the deficiencies in teaching. However from the examples I know so far this has not worked in the sense that their kids do not do so well in their GCSEs or A levels at the end of the day.
Not to mention the fact of how tiring it is to get back from school only to continue with a tutor. If you do have the chance do get your child to good secondary school (independent, grammar or good compehensive) just get it to that good school.

Oxbridge do not only look for home students, they also get masses of excellent students from the EU (like myself) and from further afield. Hence the competition is international and it is not possible or clever to attempt to play strategic games in this glabal arena. (No matter how hard the government of the day seems to try to do so. If they interfere too much, the University just shifts its recruitment emphasis abroad rather than at home. Many have already done so.) Finally there are may other good univeristies around apart from Oxbridge: UCL, Imperial,LSE Warwick etc.

To Dr Jalal: What is best very much depends on what your kid wants to study for. Our aspirations do not matter. Best let them get aspirations for themselves and then choose where to apply and for what when the time comes. It is a bit premature of thinking to send an 11 year old to Oxbridge!!!

INEX
sj355

Post by Guest »

As I have already mentioned in an earlier thread, my son managed to get an Assisted Place Scholarship/Bursary last week at the highly prestigious and sought-after King Edward's Independent School (KES), Edgbaston, Birmingham. Both my wife and I have more or less decided to send him there - we have aspirations for him to eventually attend Oxbridge, and with KES having 21% of its pupils obtaining places at either Oxford or Cambridge each year, it seems that KES is the obvious choice for us. However, I am somewhat concerned about the following article that appeared in the Guardian in July 2006. Can we have some feedback, discussion and thoughts on this issue please.

When looking at application forms/interviewing potential university candidates how do you distinguish between students who are predicted straight A's at A level. I look at the 'extras' ie. musical instrument, sport and even more importantly something that makes them stand out from the crowd - the wow factor - the thing that makes you think they will make the most of the course and university life. However, I am much more impressed by students who have achieved off their own back rather than because parents have pushed them in that direction. Rather than worrying too much about 'the right university' at this stage I would concentrate on ensuring that the secondary school will meet your sons needs and whether he will be happy there. From there I would concentrate on nurturing his interests to ensure he becomes a well rounded person who makes the most of all opportunities life throws at him and allow him to make decisions about university when the time comes. If your aspirations are not his aspirations ultimately you will be disappointed and he will spend years feeling guilty that he has let you down.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

If your aspirations are not his aspirations ultimately you will be disappointed and he will spend years feeling guilty that he has let you down.
Obviously I second this. To put it more coldly the probability of this happening is 4/5 if your KES stats on Oxbridge admissions is correct. May I repeat, this country is blessed with many very-very good universities and the best research ones (who ultimately become famous) are not always the best teaching ones.

Congratulations to your son for doing so very well indeed. He deserves a pat on the back followed by a big kiss!

INEX
sj355

Post by Guest »

sj355

didn't you mention in a previous post(11+tutors thread) that as an admissions tutor,you do not look at where the students are applying for..look for straight sets of As?

I got the impression then that it does not matter where you studied..at comp,grammar or independent. Think it was 9th Feb your post,I haven't worked out yet how to QUOTE from different topics.

Does that comment only apply to the current situation for admissions at University?

I also feel it is not too premature to think about Oxbridge. 7 years go by so quickly and the main starting point is at the school where your child will perform the best.Did you hear the speech by the headmaster at QE Boys barnet on Open Day? He was already pointing at Oxbridge for the incoming cohort? Hence the angst about which school to pick/offered.

But Dr. Jalal will have to make sure his child is happy with the school choices. My son saw me reading the University 'League' tables recently and saw that Oxford and Cambridge were top of the table and decided promptly that he wanted to attend Cambridge because it is the best! That coming from a child who does not even know what he wants to be in life!

Think he was equating it with the top football team in whichever league is playing..too many for me to keep up with !

Post by Guest »

sj355

didn't you mention in a previous post(11+tutors thread) that as an admissions tutor,you do not look at where the students are applying for..look for straight sets of As?

I got the impression then that it does not matter where you studied..at comp,grammar or independent. Think it was 9th Feb your post,I haven't worked out yet how to QUOTE from different topics.

Does that comment only apply to the current situation for admissions at University?

I also feel it is not too premature to think about Oxbridge. 7 years go by so quickly and the main starting point is at the school where your child will perform the best.Did you hear the speech by the headmaster at QE Boys barnet on Open Day? He was already pointing at Oxbridge for the incoming cohort? Hence the angst about which school to pick/offered.

But Dr. Jalal will have to make sure his child is happy with the school choices. My son saw me reading the University 'League' tables recently and saw that Oxford and Cambridge were top of the table and decided promptly that he wanted to attend Cambridge because it is the best! That coming from a child who does not even know what he wants to be in life!

Think he was equating it with the top football team in whichever league is playing..too many for me to keep up with !

Post by Guest »

[quote="Anonymous"]sj355

Sorry, I meant to say,you do not look at where the students are coming from i.e. schools they attended..you just look at the A levels results.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Well spotted! :D Yes, I am afraid I am school blind, simply because I am not originally from this country. With the exception of North London I still am! :oops: But rest assured (or not), the majority is not.
I look (or rather looked) for the required marks in A levels/GCSE. The reference letter is relevant because it has the prediction of marks in A levels. If these were not at the required level of the dept. I work for, then it is pointless to make a conditional offer; we just reject. The colleagues at Oxford have also decided to look at the school attended by the pupils who reach the required marks or are predicted to do so. Good luck to them! I have no issue with that as long as the academic qualifications side has been satisfied (i.e. straight As in 3/4 A levels, plus a more or less spotless record of GCSEs at the A*).
He would say that wouldn't he? Personally I would feel very annoyed if someone for me that I will go to Oxbridge (although I did go!). I would prefer to make that decision for myself (which I did!). I like the chap but he is a bit over the top.
I am totally in agreement.
sj355

Post by Guest »

[quote]
as long as the academic qualifications side has been satisfied (i.e. straight As in 3/4 A levels, plus a more or less spotless record of GCSEs at the A*).

Oh dear! And we thought the 11+ was a killer!

I like the chap but he is a bit over the top.[quote]

I heard his bark is worse than his bite. His talk was full of the school's aspirations,the parents' aspirations, the boys' aspirations! By the 1st,2nd March we will all be totally 'aspirated'.

Judging by all the diehards in this forum,we are all worn out by the waiting! Grammar or independent,it's still a wait too long!
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Code: Select all

as long as the academic qualifications side has been satisfied (i.e. straight As in 3/4 A levels, plus a more or less spotless record of GCSEs at the A*). 

Oh dear! And we thought the 11+ was a killer!
I was referring to the two "aspired for" universities. In the Uni I work for in our department we look for BBB to BBA in terms of A levels. (but we never have to enter into clearing). Yet, we are on the 5 highest ranking deparments in terms of employment record (percentage of graduates that find a job within 6 months after graduating) and the Uni as a whole also has an extremely high employability record. For me this counts a lot! But of course I would say that, wouldn't I? :roll:

I heard his bark is worse than his bite. His talk was full of the school's aspirations,the parents' aspirations, the boys' aspirations! By the 1st,2nd March we will all be totally 'aspirated'.
I heard that too. "Aspired", ha? :lol: :lol: Goodnight!
sj355

Post by Guest »

sj355

'Aspirated' is more fun; rhymes with 'exasperated'

Think we've gone off off topic now.

Nite nite