Studying economics at Uni

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

poochie

Studying economics at Uni

Post by poochie »

Could someone kindly give me some advice as the best uni's for reading economics of some sort. My son has chosen at A level maths ,economics,politics and history. Someone has mentioned to him PPE, does anyone know much about this course. With all the fiasco in the news about Lse will this have an effect on its reputation?
KB

Re: Studying economics at Uni

Post by KB »

Imagine LSE reputation is too long standing/ deep rooted?

It might be helpful to differentiate between academic courses & those designed for entry to high flying finance careers.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

PPE is the oxford course - 200+ students per year including several future cabinets...

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergra ... tic_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

DS narrowed down Economics courses at Kent, Brighton and Sussex. Has chosen 4 different courses based on Economics, for example Economics and Finance. His school spent ages looking at his levels and tailoring the search to the Uni's with the best outcomes from Economics based courses. He was never going to get the top end Uni's but was predicted AAB, although I would be impressed if he gets them! :lol:

There is a league table thing but am afraid I wouldn't know where to find it.......
Last edited by T12ACY on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

here is a table of sorts...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/tab ... -economics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
poochie

Post by poochie »

Thanks for the table info hermanmunster........... Warwick looks good for studying economics,has anyone got any info about this uni that they could pass on?
KB

Post by KB »

Don't know about the Economics course but has a pretty good long standing reputation a s a University.
Check the location though - we rejected it partly because it isn't as attractive as the name might suggest! Personal opinion only & relating to DC for whom environment is important.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KB wrote:Don't know about the Economics course but has a pretty good long standing reputation a s a University.
Check the location though - we rejected it partly because it isn't as attractive as the name might suggest! Personal opinion only & relating to DC for whom environment is important.

agreed ... really the University of of Coventry....
poochie

Post by poochie »

thanks kb and hermanmunster........yes that was what I was wondering about re enviroment/location .Any opinion on York ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Lovely City ...traffic dire - heaving with tourists, university architecture leaves a little to be desired.

excellent rail links to lots of places..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now