Universities admit 'soft' A-levels damage chance of top plac

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nigs

Universities admit 'soft' A-levels damage chance of top plac

Post by nigs »

Guess we all know this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... s-a-levels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magwich2

Re: Universities admit 'soft' A-levels damage chance of top

Post by magwich2 »

I think people have known this for many years but it is good to have it out in the open.

I do disagree though with the bit about private and grammar schools somehow conferring some advantage in the process.

I think anyone who can read and research basic information on google + has a modicum of common sense can fully appreciate the oxbridge admissions process.

What is more probable I feel is that if a college has admitted students from particular schools over the years and has always found them to be satisfactory in all ways then they are likely to view subsequent applications favourably which might be a bit unfair but its the way of the world.
KB

Post by KB »

Equally, students at 'our' school are advised that Oxbridge colleges won't want to admit too many from one school in a particular year so they try to spread the applications over a range of colleges - especially if there are several applicants for the same subject.

I do think that good prep for the interviews makes a difference and this may well be where Comprehensive school pupils are missing out.

As to any 16 year old being able to 'suss' the Oxbridge admissions process without good support - I am not at all sure, particularly in the case of those pupils who come from non-academic backgrounds & may not even have thought aout Oxbridge when they are selecting A level subjects.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

You only need look at the data in the tables provided by Elizabeth Truss's parliamentary questions about A-level subjects pupils take at private and Comprehensive schools in England, to see just how badly advised state school pupils are in which A-level subjects to choose. Hence David Willetts White Paper requirement that Universities will have to reveal the A-level qualifications of successful applicants – which will expose the folly of taking "soft" subjects in the mistaken belief that they offer an easy ticket to university.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... prehensive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now