Uni versus Apprenticeship

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Uni versus Apprenticeship

Post by doodles »

Very hard choice, but I think the apprenticeship needs very very serious consideration. Uni is an amazing experience, or it was nearly 30 years ago, so I don't know what it's like now, I should imagine it is far more pressurised. Is he guaranteed a job at the end of the apprenticeship?

If he is set on being an accountant then I think I would consider that apprenticeship, he'll be qualified by his early 20's and could still go off and do a year's travelling and come home fully qualified and ahead of his peers who have been to uni.

What a nice decision to have to make.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Doodles that is an interesting question. Is he set on being an Accountant? If I ask him this he tells me he can't be 100% certain he wants to spend his whole working life in that career but for now it's what he wants to do. How many of us can say we are in the job we set out to do 25 years ago????

The good thing about one of the larger companies, which he hopes to do, is that he can branch out as others have said. He is naturally able with numbers and does want to work using this, and I suspect the large pay packets which may come his way in years to come might influence his decision!

At the end of the apprenticeship he has been told the company will 'always' find a place for hard working and qualified people they have taken the time to invest in. Lets face it they will have had 5 years to judge him :lol: (don't know if this is good or bad)

This DS always comes up smelling of roses, that is if you ignore his difficult first 8 years of life when our lives were reminiscent of a poorly written book..... The opportunities were out there for anyone who wanted to apply but most DC these days overlook them and just head off to uni so I am proud he has got himself in this position. And yes, a nice choice to be able to make :D
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I only ask as I seem to know a number of accountants who realised down the that accountancy per se wasn't for them, but saying that it is a respected qualification that opens up a host of opportunities.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

:lol: My sister told him not to do it as everyone who works in 'finance' is dull...... (I work in Finance :oops: )
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I am one of those, grew up thinking I will be an Accountant, studied part of it and realised nahhh that wasnt for me and left it.

...not only are Accountants boring but they are tight too, they would never pay for a round of drinks :wink:
Impossible is Nothing.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DH is an accountant but probably not your archetypal one as he can be good fun!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

sherry_d wrote: ...not only are Accountants boring but they are tight too, they would never pay for a round of drinks :wink:
Oi :evil:
I'm an accountant, and hopefully neither boring nor tight :lol:

Whatever he does, make sure he can train to be a chartered accountant, and not be stuck as ACCA - that means he needs his degree first.

Lots of people at my work are training to become ACCA, you don't need a degree for that, so although worthwhile, you may be limited in where you go with it. With all of these accountancy qualifications you are training while working so it is not easy.

I have a son at university and a daughter doing a similar apprenticeship. I think on balance he is having a great time, while she thinks now after a year, perhaps university would have been slightly better, although then she remembers she doesn't have any debt :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

What about taking an apprenticeship but moving out to live in a house with other young folk, perhaps nurses, so getting the best of both worlds.
moved

Post by moved »

I am not convinced that the modern uni experience is the same as it was for us. Lots of hard work, lots of debt, most have a job at the same time as studying. If he wants to be an accountant I think he should go for the apprenticeship. If he doesn't like it he can always go to uni later on. If I could avoid my children being saddled with more debt than my first mortgage then I think I would take the opportunity.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

marigold wrote:What about taking an apprenticeship but moving out to live in a house with other young folk, perhaps nurses, so getting the best of both worlds.
This made me laugh.... sharing a house with nurses? He would be in his element!!!! :lol:

Seriously I think he would consider this if he could share and split rent etc.

Also with regards to ACCA, he has made it clear he expects to link this with the degree (no idea what it is though, that's me not him) which is on offer if he opts to do it (but doesn't have to). As far as he is concerned the outcome will be that he will be qualified as a chartered accountant but that with the partnership he can branch out to other areas if he wants to, and they want to keep him.....

Decision should be made over the next week or so and then a month off 8)

Thanks again all for your feedback!