Ok what should we do

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
another mother

Re: Ok what should we do

Post by another mother »

both my dd's are likely to study English - at least in part - and it's a great subject and brings all sorts of useful skills, like any good arts degree. However enjoying reading is not enough - you really have to like criticism and deconstruction of texts. It sounds like your dd does, but I do know students who have found that constantly pulling texts apart wasn't satisfiying.
Look carefully at what different unis offer in their courses - you can end up with papers that don't appeal, for instance some uni's offer fairly linear courses and you can't avoid Pope (should you wish to!) - others are much more modular and scatter gun, don't cover the canon but have some fascinating options.
I quite agree with those who say it does really matter where you study, and sadly the best places all want fairly hefty offers. My DD is expecting that if she gets offers they will be A*AA at best. And possibly with specified A*s in her two main subjects.

I am alarmed by just how many of her friends are also planning to study English - dozens of them it seems and one reason she is keen on joint honours now. I see a number of excellent English grads every year who come to us for work experience, some have been out in the world for several years and are finding interesting or even renumerated work in the field of words (as opposed to teaching or opting to use the degree as a stepping stone to the milk round) really difficult to find. It's tough out there and an English degree per se will only get you so far I think.

Sorry if that sounds gloomy- we are having similar conversations!

ps does anyone have update on Scottish situation. And is it true that they will only charge English students for three years- that WAS the case, I wasn't sure it still stood.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

The situation as I understand it (Scottish person living in England :evil: ) is that Aberdeen university is the first uni in Scotland to declare £9k fees from English students pa but the fourth year will be free.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... on-fees-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I have also noticed that some unis are expecting A*AA for English, that is not what my daughter will be achieving, nor would I want her to be worrying about that.....so we are still looking for courses, and hopefully will figure something out soon. Don't worry, another mother, I am fully au fait with how difficult this whole thing is, and just wondering what is best for my daughter :D
another mother

Post by another mother »

Hi LFH
I'm also a Scot living in England - and couldn't agree more. What with rail fares going up to not sure we can afford to get her there even!

Our mistake was to assume that her own gloom about her ASs meant she probably wouldn't even apply this year, except possibly as a trial run! Now it transpires that she is in the fortunate position that she should be able to make a high offer and given her UMS would be silly not to apply - but the unfortunate one of having had her head in the sand all summer, so it's all panic here! At least she has had a really great time and that seemed like a very good idea at the time - now wondering if we misjudged this!! It's hard to get the balance right between adding to their stress and being on top of it all. Good luck with looking for courses - the guardian table is quite helpful in identifying some with lower points averages but which still rate highly.
Looking for help

It sounds as if we are in similar positions then :D I hope it all works out for you too. Studying the Guardian list regulary and hoping to come to some decisions soon.

Good Luck
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sorry LFH - I think it's just Aberdeen, not St. Andrew's that's offering the free fourth year...they both begin with A and I must be suffering from fuddled 11+ brain! :oops: :lol:
Marylou
Looking for help

Marylou wrote:Sorry LFH - I think it's just Aberdeen, not St. Andrew's that's offering the free fourth year...they both begin with A and I must be suffering from fuddled 11+ brain! :oops: :lol:
I expect what one does, they will all do, MaryLou. DW about the brain, mine is always befuddled, I think it is part of being a parent :lol:

We've been checking out Trinity College Dublin - does anyone know if you can get a student loan to go to another EU country to study ? Fees there are about €5700, although there's no indication of what they will be for 2012
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure that Dublin would be that much...

But across the Irish Sea, UK students can pick up a top-class education for a total cost of zero – for tuition at least. Under European Union rules, all students from EU countries who attend EU universities must be treated the same as local applicants, and so, for Ireland, where locals pay nothing, this means their tuition fees are met in full by the Irish government.

So, apart from living costs, the only bill English students face at Trinity College – rated one of the top in Europe – is a €2,000 (£1,723) annual administration charge that covers student services and exams.

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/fees/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - eligible for Free Fees if EU national
Looking for help

Oh... I was looking here http://www.tcd.ie/Treasurers_Office/fee ... 011-12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well then if its only €2000, maybe we'll have a think about that :D

Mind you she will have to get in first :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Our DD is considering Dublin for veterinary, with zero fees of course being a major attraction! Unfortunately the competition is very high for that course (as elsewhere) and the minimum offer for UK students last year was A*AAA, which - considering most UK applicants can only offer three A2s - is a bit of a tall order. Don't know what the situation is for other subjects, but it's definitely worth a look. Time to get something out of EU membership for a change! :)
Marylou
another mother

Post by another mother »

We looked into Trinity last term but for Eng and French she would have to get 3A*s and an A at A2 level - absolutely impossible to do it on 3 A levels - and English alone almost impossible. They don't count points from EPQ or, i seem to remember but might be wrong, from ASs. I suspect the reason is that if they are taking overseas students they'd rather have them from the US etc paying huge fees than from the EU. Irish friends say the comparisons with Irish leaving certificate standards (which is how the points are configured) mean that again, as in Scotland, English students are being asked for higher attainment than home ones.
Again similarly to Scotland, there are issues about how university funding will fare in the next few years. Was it you HM who said that funding in crisis in Scotland - that's certainly how it looks. My old prof (he was rookie lecturer when he taught me!) says there is huge worry about brain drain if Scots can't compete with English uni salaries.

Good luck LFH - glad to hear it isn't just us but hope you have a longer period of time to make decisions!