predicted A2 grades and university interview

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loulou

predicted A2 grades and university interview

Post by loulou »

My son is being predicted A*AA (chemistry, maths,biology) for his A2s. His maths is very close to the A* boundary and there is a possibility that that prediction may change to an A* if he requests it. Do any parents have experience of whether a prediction of an A* may result in him being asked to meet those predictions as part of a university offer or are offers generally standard? He wants to do chemical engineering at university and all prospectus suggested offers range from AAA to AAB. I have asked a couple of parents and they have told me that offers are usually standard and the important thing is securing an interview in the first place, which will clearly be more likely with good predicted grades and obviously a good personal statement ( :roll: ). Any comments from those of you with experience of the university application process. This is my first time at this stage of my childrens education and it seems so much more complicated than when i went to university!

Loulou
Belinda

Re: predicted A2 grades and university interview

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loulou

Post by loulou »

Thanks for that Belinda. I think I might suggest he e-mails the admissions tutors for the universities he is interested in to clarify before he finally submits his UCAS form. The only people that seem to ask for A* in their prospectus are Cambridge and Imperial but as he didn't do physics A level (a big regret of his now) he has effectively ruled those out. I would agree about it being unfair if universities do ask for higher grades than they have in their prospectus and from what you say it has happened with the IB. Poor student. Glad the school were able to sort it out.
Clare

Post by Clare »

Loulou I wouldn't leave out Cambridge or Imperial because he hasn't done Physics.They have preferred A levels but that doesn't mean they wouldn't consider him.

My daughter is applying to read Maths-didn't do well in the Physics AS got a C which was remarked and became a B but not the A which she was expecting. She has dropped it and e-mailed Cambridge . They said still apply.

The admissions tutors are the best people to speak to but you would need to hurry as there is a 15th October deadline for Cambridge.
loulou

Post by loulou »

Oh thats interesting Clare. I think DS has finally decided against Cambridge and Imperial as he feels the course he wants to do is so competitive that he doesn't want to waste a single university choice on his UCAS form. He is now going for those universities where he feels he stands the best chance ie those that don't list physics in their entry requirements.
Good luck to your daughter for the coming few months. Hope she gets what she wants.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now