parents declaring their degeers for uni

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

I was quite shocked about this news too. In the 1960s/70s when I first went to school the application forms - particularly for secondary school - had father's occupation listed as an item on the form. This was later seen as discriminatory since schools would have been able to cherry pick their pupils, only taking those whose parents appeared (somewhat arbitrarily) to be interested in their child's education. If it appeared on a school form today I don't think many parents would be happy about it. When my children applied to independent schools we were asked our occupation and felt quite cynical about it.

I went to university and so did my husband - but we were the first in our families to do so, because we were able to access the grammar schools in this area. I can't believe that this so called "Labour" government now wants to discriminate against our family.

I used to be a commited Labour party voter, but I am truly shocked by what this govt has been proposing and wonder what on earth they are thinking of. Bring back the Monster Raving Loony party - or may be they are already in power disguised as NuLabour.