University accommodation

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fran17

University accommodation

Post by Fran17 »

Is there anyone on the forum with knowledge of the accommodation at Northumbria Uni? On the open day we looked at the two sites that were open to view, but when we looked on line there are more options available. A few pointers as to which accommodation is the most favoured would be very much appreciated. My DS has chosen his favourite accommodation at the other unis on his list but isn't sure when it comes to Northumbria.
Kesteven

Re: University accommodation

Post by Kesteven »

Have a look at the forums on thestudentroom website for advice from those in the know.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi Fran, my niece is in her first year there, I’ll drop her a line and ask if she has any advice. She got her place through clearing (is it still called that?), so is sharing a house rather than in university accommodation but she may be able to offer some pointers.
Amber

Post by Amber »

This is not specific to Northumbria (though I could probably tell you which areas of Newcastle are good and which not so great for students) but just something a friend recently observed. Her DC is in catered halls and friend is very glad of this-apparently they are hard to find these days but child came home for Christmas looking healthy and well fed, in contrast to some friends who had gone it alone in self catering and found that cooking was not top of their list of priorities - caught every illness going and came home skeletal and white. By means of contrast I now recall my own first year as a radical vegetarian (since reformed!) in catered halls, not eating a damn thing apart from toast and cheese salad; and coming home looking like I had been dug up - parents a bit concerned and trying to sneak red meat into my bean casseroles. Don't think it did me any harm, but not an awful lot of good either.

So in short, think about the cooking angle and what your DC is likely to eat, and whether this matters to you.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Good point Amber. Niece is studying food tech and is also a very good cook (the two don’t necessarily go together) – apparently quite a few boys have been asking if they can share a house with her next year… :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rob Clark wrote:... apparently quite a few boys have been asking if they can share a house with her next year… :lol:
And you're totally sure that's to do with her cooking?

Someone I once knew, when I said 'the way to a man's heart is through his stomach', replied, 'a little lower, I think'.

Sorry, is this too much for an 11+ exams forum?
mystery

Post by mystery »

You mean the large intestine?
Amber

Post by Amber »

You obviously know some techniques I don't, mystery. :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

No, just get badly confused by directions.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'd say both..one followed by the other :P . Sorry Fran . Don't know anything about uni accommodation. :)