University accommodation

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Belinda

Re: University accommodation

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you all for your replies. You have all given me a good laugh.

Rob, I had remembered that you had mentioned previously that your niece is at Northumbria. I did think about sending you a pm but I didn't want to bother you. So kind of you to offer to drop her a line. My DS has a fair idea of the accommodation he would opt for at the other Unis he has had offers from, but he couldn't make his mind up with regard to Northumbria.

I think catered accommodation sounds like a good idea as he loses weight at the drop of a hat, and I am sure he would live on beans on toast or peanut butter sandwiches if left to his own devices. Maybe he would be lucky enough to find a 'friend' like Rob's niece who could help him with the cooking. :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I don't have experience of Northumbria, but the only thing I would say about catered accommodation is that my son took catered in his first year - we were paying for breakfast and dinner - I don't think he was ever there for breakfast, so you may actually be paying for something that isn't required. He's now in his third year and has managed better I think when out of halls and in a flat with his friends.

Some of the universities now are using a system where you put money on a card at the start of the term or whenever you like and you can use it in any of the food outlets, including the food shops - so students can have a wee bit of choice about how they feed themselves.

I think for my daughter who is hoping to go in September we will choose self catered, and check whether this is available there.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you are doing Science and Maths based degrees then you will be up for breakfast! We have done the sums and at some Unis the catered halls are really good value - it also varies how many meals you get so check on that. Some even say if you are going to miss the evening meal they can lay some food on for you.
Looking for help

Guest55 wrote:If you are doing Science and Maths based degrees then you will be up for breakfast!
Not always the case.

These days you're lucky to have 12 hours contact time a week with only one day where you need to be up early, whatever the course .

But I do agree the catered halls are good value, and as long as you don't have a fussy eater, they will probably like the food.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For the courses DC is applying for they have 23 hours contact time and all the Unis we looked were similar.
Looking for help

Yes Guest 55 - there are some courses more demanding, but most are 12 hours a week, plus obviously the rest of the time working independently (or sleeping :lol: )
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Hi Fran,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, my niece has been busy trying to get work at the Olympics in the summer and has only just replied.

If your DS is set on a catered hall, she says Claude Gibb Hall seems to be the favourite, but she strongly recommends the self-catered accommodation which is arranged into flats. She says it’s a really great atmosphere and much easier to get to know people when you start. And all her friends agree.

She adds if you’re worried about his eating, get him a couple of cookbooks by Sam Stern (simple, quick, studenty type recipes) and do a bit with him beforehand. Her brother (now in his last year at uni) couldn’t cook before he left home but seems to have managed just fine.

HTH :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ah Rob, so all those Sam Stern recipes I have been sending you haven't gone to waste then? 'Simple, quick, studenty type recipes' from young Stern are pretty much what the Amberclan lives on, and not boiled lentils and grass, as some on other threads seem to think.

Trying now to think of a way to get this post back on topic: all I can think of is that if he goes to Newcastle Fran, he won't need any kind of recipe book at lunchtime because there are several very good stottie shops in (even student) walking distance of the campuses.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Rob Clark wrote:Hi Fran,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this, my niece has been busy trying to get work at the Olympics in the summer and has only just replied.

If your DS is set on a catered hall, she says Claude Gibb Hall seems to be the favourite, but she strongly recommends the self-catered accommodation which is arranged into flats. She says it’s a really great atmosphere and much easier to get to know people when you start. And all her friends agree. :D
Thank you so much for going to so much trouble Rob. I will tell my DS. We will have a look at the self-catered flats. We have decided he will have to cope if he's not in catered accommodation. He is actually quite a good cook but I think he would probably be a bit lazy and go for an easy option. Oh well, it's time for him to start taking responsibility for himself. Afterall he will be 18!

I shall get a couple of the cook books you recommended, I could do with a few tips myself! :oops: We just have to keep everything crossed now and hope he gets the grades he needs and gets a place at one of his choices.

I do hope your neice secures a job at the Olympics, how exciting.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now