Glasgow University

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
First-timer

Re: Glasgow University

Post by First-timer »

Only just came across this thread as I rarely venture below the 11+ border. :oops:

My first degree is an MA in Psychology from Glasgow. My final two years were in classes with a mix of students from the Arts, Social Sciences and Science faculties. We all sat the same finals but came away with either an MA, an MA(Soc.Sci) or a BSc. It was the first two years which were different. The requirements of the MA were that a Maths/philosophy and a language had to be taken but these requirements only kicked in if you were unsuccessful at the end of second year in securing an honours course. Most students tried to incorporate at least one of these in the first two years so that third year was not spent studying subjects which would not be chosen willingly. Competition for honours places varied by subject. It was particularly fierce for Psychology. When I was in second year there were 500 applicants from the three faculties chasing 50 places. My performance throughout the year had earned me an exemption from sitting the degree
exam but because there were more exempt students than there were honours places, we all had to sit the exam anyway! The stakes were high. Very few students aimed to take a three year ordinary degree in preference to the four year honours degree.

Of course, this was a wheen of years ago and things are probably very different now!

Not all Scottish universities offer an undergraduate MA. It is peculiar to the ancient universities. I believe England has something similar in Oxbridge.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now