Lancaster University

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fran17

Lancaster University

Post by Fran17 »

Can anyone offer any opinions regarding Lancaster University. DS has received an offer from them but unfortunately we couldn't make the open days in the summer. We will arrange to go and visit but wondered if anyone has DCs who have been there.
harlequin

Re: Lancaster University

Post by harlequin »

Hi

My husband's niece is in her 2nd year at Lancaster - what would you like to know?

Harlequin
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

That is so kind of you Harlequin. We just wanted a general opinion of the University itself. What is the town like? In the meantime a friend has spoken to me and given me some information as one of her colleagues has a daughter there.

We will arrange to go to see it. It may be just out of DS's reach as he sometimes doesn't achieve what he is capable of in exams. It is up to him now to put in all the hard work.

Thank you everyone on here who have been so willing to share their experiences and offer advice. It still takes me by surprise sometimes at the trouble people go to. Good luck to all our children. May they all work hard and get what they want, and above all please let me still have a full head of hair in August! :D
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Fran - the son of a friend of mine went to Cumbria, which is also in Lancaster. He dropped out, the reason being he discovered a lot of people went home for the weekends as they were fairly local to Lancaster, and it was easy for them. My friend's son though had about 300 miles to travel, and it wasn't realistic every weekend, so after a term, he'd had enough.
It is something else to think about, and just double check that Lancaster isn't the same. I know from my own experience that Glasgow is like that (in fact a large number commute daily rather than live in there), and loneliness can bring a lot of problems for those who can't get home easily.
It might be worth asking them what the practice is, it's not a question we ever thought about when our son went, fortunately he hasn't experienced that, although he could easily enough get home if he had been lonely.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you LFH that is something I hadn't thought about. That will be one of the questions we will ask.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Hallo Fran 17

My DS and I went to one of the open days in the summer and I was impressed. It was very well organised and all the people we spoke to, students and staff, were helpful and open and honest. The pastoral care seemed to be very good. We went to a couple of general talks and to the Maths Dept presentation. What is your DS hoping to study?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi Jiff,

It is good to know it made such a good impression on you and your DS. My DS is hoping to study a particular course within the Computer Science Department.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I could be totally wrong here but isn't Lancaster a campus university some way out of the city? And Northumbria is pop in the middle of a city. So it would be a very different experience. Perhaps your DS has views on this.

You do know though, that I am hopelessly biased as I went to Newcastle Uni and thought it was the greatest place on the planet to study!
Kesteven

Post by Kesteven »

I work in a University and know the sector well. I have no axe to grind. Lancaster is a quality institution with a profile and reputation which will open doors for its graduates. Northumbria on the other hand...
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now