Reduction in University Applications for 2012

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fran17

Re: Reduction in University Applications for 2012

Post by Fran17 »

LFH I do know exactly what you mean, getting an offer from Lancaster was a bit of a surprise to us and has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons as they say (you know my thoughts on it). DS was very happy putting Northumbria as first choice because we were all so impressed with uni and the staff in the Computer Science Department.

We have a very good friend whose daughter is still waiting to hear from Southampton and one poor friend's son hasn't had any offers at all yet. He is a lovely boy and very bright so I am sure they will all start rolling in. Such a worry for them (and us). Hope your DD hears from Southampton soon! :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

My daughter has received an offer from Southampton after an interview a couple of weeks ago.
It wasn't her first choice and she has four more interviews but we were very impressed by the university ( and the shops) so it is seriously under consideration.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Good news Marigold! Hope the other interviews go well.

What does she want to study, if you don't mind me asking ?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Southampton Uni is a 'marmite' university - I went for an interview and hated it but my sister loved it (same course)!

It doesn't really have a campus feel imho - and the city was just too big for me.
Last edited by Guest55 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Everyone I know who went to Southampton loved it. Great courses, sea air, easy access to the countryside, not as big as many a uni town but still lots of partying to be had by all accounts. Mind you, this was in the 80s :oops:
mad?
Looking for help

My daughter doesn't really want to go there, we just want them to hurry up and make an offer or reject her so we can move on and choose accommodation in the uni she wants to go to .....aaargh

Ucas track has taklen over our lives.

The other four offers came in really soon after the application went in, these guys are keeping her waiting :shock:
marigold

Post by marigold »

LFH She is applying for Nursing.

She did little or no research into the available courses, just chose five from the top 10 in the Good University Guide.
I am very ashamed to say, and you must repeat this to no one, that on the way home on the coach when I mentioned that I had seen a cruise ship from the window of the John Lewis cafe, where I had to sit for four hours during the interview, she expressed surprise as she had not realised Southampton was by the sea. Thank god good geography is not essential to be a good nurse.

xx
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

My son loved Southampton.
His geography is pants too-was grumbling about travelling to Birmingham for an open day and we had to point out that Nottingham which he was also visiting was even further-to which the reply was "is it really outside the M25?"
Looking for help

What is it about their geography ? I thought mine were quite knowledgeable about Great Britain on account of being driven up and down from Berkshire to Glasgow several times a year, but no! The only thing they seem to know about is the motorway service station names, some of which happily coincide with the names of towns, but not all :lol:
Good luck to your daughter, Marigold.

And which universities did your son choose in the end, Surreymum ?
marigold

Post by marigold »

Thank LFH and lots of luck to yours too. Once the offers are in the hard work starts........
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now