Summer jobs for university students

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

frosties

Summer jobs for university students

Post by frosties »

DS is part way through his 1st year at Uni and hasn't managed his money terribly well to say the least!
He needs to get a holiday job in the summer and wants to live at home. He's spoken to people at the bigger companies but they are not interested in employing him as they are clearly thinking, it will only be for the summer and they probably don't want to give him lots of training, for him to leave again at the end of September. This is understandable. Any ideas of companies which are happy to employ for the short term? Thank you
Looking for help

Re: Summer jobs for university students

Post by Looking for help »

We're very lucky and live near three theme parks, my children have had summer jobs there the last few years, they take on loads of students from Easter onwards, and were also flexible regarding working during the Easter holidays, then going back to uni, and returning to work for the summer - although the days can be long.

One of mine has also landed a part-time weekend job a large pharmacy chain, and we are hoping she will be able to transfer to where her uni is when she goes in September, to give her a little boost on the financial front during the term time.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Many local authorities/leisure centres etc. run children's activities and play camps during the summer - I'm sure they would be on the lookout for some help!

One of DD's friends got a summer job in McD's before starting university. They were so pleased with him that they are training him in their management scheme and are quite happy for him to attend only during the holidays.
Marylou
frosties

Post by frosties »

Thanks for those suggestions. I'll see if there is a McD's in his university town so he can get started.
We also have a children's play area near us so that's a great idea too. Thank you.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We use the holiday club at our local Indie school - it is entirely staffed by bouncy, enthusiastic Uni students. I am sure it's hard work but they always seem to be having fun.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now